 Castle / 16450
Re: Provincial village update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 18:08:05 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Jon Furman writes:
Thanks Lenny,
I wasn't certain about the colors eithers, In fact I've got two more
ubfurnished buildings in red and tan, that I'm still not certain the colors
are "period" enough.  the base lego colors are a little too bright and vivid
for me.  I'm also running out of "period correct"  occupations if you have
some suggestions!  Thanks again.  Jon

For a long time I always had problems thinking of what a medieval/renaissance
village would have. you always come up with blacksmith and tavern.. but what
else?  And then it hit me, and it was so obvious and silly I couldn't stand it:
Everything one would need to live, someone is the medieval ages was making.  So
that means:

So far you have:
Baker, Butcher, Tavern, Cooper, Glassblower, Seamstress, Silversmith

Other things could be:
Merchants of all kinds (spice seller, exotic cloth, etc), pottery maker (bowls,
jars, etc), winery, brewery, leather-worker, candle maker, lamp maker, musket
maker (since you've got musketeers), wagon maker, mason (this would be cool,
like with a half built house that he's working on), roofer

also, several of your houses have flowers on them.. perhaps a flower seller?

That's almost 10 things, if you don't count various merchants and merchant
types, and also specializations (ie. drinking glassblower vs. window
glassblower.. or even an artisan who makes stained glass windows).

And thats a whole new line of occupation: scribes, illuminator (a guy who
illuminates texts), painter, and sculptor.

Just some ideas
-Lenny

In lugnet.castle, Leonard Hoffman writes:
Wow Jon!  The color usage and building shapes work so well.  I never thought
color was something that could really be used in castle, but you've proven
me wrong.  now to pull out the color bins and start working!

thanks for posting!
-lenny