 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 962
    Provincial village update —Jon Furman
   Hey all, Having just returned from a trip to Europe, I'm posting some updates to my provincial village, based on some designs I came up with while I was in Alsacia. I haven't been big on using colors in my timbering, but after seeing some of the (...) (21 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.announce.moc) !!

        Re: Provincial village update —Leonard Hoffman
     Wow Jon! The color usage and building shapes work so well. I never thought color was something that could really be used in castle, but you've proven me wrong. now to pull out the color bins and start working! thanks for posting! -lenny (...) (21 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.castle)

         Re: Provincial village update —Jon Furman
      Thanks Lenny, I wasn't certain about the colors eithers, In fact I've got two more ubfurnished buildings in red and tan, that I'm still not certain the colors are "period" enough. the base lego colors are a little too bright and vivid for me. I'm (...) (21 years ago, 29-Mar-03, to lugnet.castle)

          Re: Provincial village update —Leonard Hoffman
      (...) For a long time I always had problems thinking of what a medieval/renaissance village would have. you always come up with blacksmith and tavern.. but what else? And then it hit me, and it was so obvious and silly I couldn't stand it: (...) (21 years ago, 31-Mar-03, to lugnet.castle)

          Re: Provincial village update —Aaron Muhl
      That's a great list so far. You can also add: Tailor Miller (the most important job in any village) Cobbler Shoemaker Paper maker (I'm sure there is a better name for this) Jeweler Rope maker Clockmaker (Even if it's a sundial or hourglass) (...) (21 years ago, 31-Mar-03, to lugnet.castle)

         Re: Provincial village update —Aaron Muhl
     Jon, I really enjoyed looking at your pictures. The exteriors of the building look great, but the interiors are what I really found fun. Using the axe as a pedal for the spinning wheel is brilliant. You've done a great job of adding tables, chairs, (...) (21 years ago, 30-Mar-03, to lugnet.castle)

        Re: Provincial village update —Andrew Martin
     Wow, those colors work great. I love all of the equipment and little details in the buildings. This village seems full of life. Very nice. -Andrew (...) (21 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.castle)

         Re: Provincial village update —Jon Furman
     Andrew, Thanks for your kind words, I appreciate your compliments. Jon (...) (21 years ago, 29-Mar-03, to lugnet.castle)

        Re: Provincial village update —Dan Thompson
     The colors are very nice. I like how the windows protrude from the housing. The craftsmen in this are better than the ones first displayed. I especially enjoyed the shelves of material in the seamstress' studio, and the wares the glass blower is (...) (21 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.castle)

         Re: Provincial village update —Jon Furman
     Dan, Thanks again for the compliments, I tried to do a little more with the minifigs this time. Coming up with fabric was a little tough at first, but I like how it turned out as well. Right now I'm trying to come up with a baseplate configuration (...) (21 years ago, 29-Mar-03, to lugnet.castle)

        Re: Provincial village update —Bruce Hietbrink
     Hey Jon, These look outstanding. Your village really has a bustling economy. The colors are all really nice. Two questions--in this picture: (URL) are the trans elements near the strawberry jar on the right? Also, I'd love to see more pictures of (...) (21 years ago, 28-Mar-03, to lugnet.castle)

         Re: Provincial village update —Jon Furman
      Hey Bruce! How's it going man? all of the Glass pieces are either cups and glasses, or 1x1 rounds toppes off with transparent 1x1 round plates. Occasionally I used 1x1 squares to make decanters as well. I'll try to fire off a couple of pics of the (...) (21 years ago, 29-Mar-03, to lugnet.castle)

         Re: Provincial village update —Jason J. Railton
     (...) I think they're clear minifig heads, with a round plate on top. I can see the printing you're referring too just below the window on the right - looks like cherries to me, probably from Belville. Jason Railton (21 years ago, 31-Mar-03, to lugnet.castle)

        Re: Provincial village update —Shirley Kearns
     Hi Jon, As usual, I'm waiting for the kits. 8-) I especially like the brown and yellow one, which is odd because I really don't like yellow very much. The brown seems to tone it down and give it some class. Hugs, Shirley. (21 years ago, 29-Mar-03, to lugnet.castle)

         Re: Provincial village update —Jon Furman
     Hey shirley, Thanks for the nod! I only wish I could bring myself to part with the Lego, but If I made kits, I'd never be able to actually sell them, even to a good home (Like I'm certain yours is)! Thanks again. Jon (...) (21 years ago, 30-Mar-03, to lugnet.castle)

         Re: Provincial village update —Tanya K. Burkhart
     Jon, they're all great - more for my "drool over with envy" file! I'd be happy if you just posted (Or sold) instructions for these buildings! Thanks for sharing, Tanya (21 years ago, 1-Apr-03, to lugnet.castle)

        Re: Provincial village update —Richie Dulin
     (...) <snip> (...) Great work again, Jon. Excellent designs, and a great choice of subjects and colours. Cheers Richie Dulin (21 years ago, 29-Mar-03, to lugnet.castle)

         Re: Provincial village update —Jon Furman
     THanks Richie, If you have any ideas about other occupations for a village, I'd love to hear them! Jon (...) (21 years ago, 30-Mar-03, to lugnet.castle)

         Re: Provincial village update —Richie Dulin
     (...) How about the other sort of seamstress*? Or for something else controversial, a publisher's with a printing press. A surgeon (are there any minifig scale leeches? or saws?) would add colour too. Mostly red, though :-) Cheers Richie * A lady of (...) (21 years ago, 30-Mar-03, to lugnet.castle)

        Re: Provincial village update —Alexander Zwagerman
     Great work! What a wonderful town you have there. Great use of bright, classic colours and the newer ones. You really captured the look you were going for. Why not humour a resident of Holland and try an old Dutch house next? Alexander (...) (21 years ago, 29-Mar-03, to lugnet.castle)

         Re: Provincial village update —Jon Furman
     Alexander, I have never been to Holland, but I'd love to go sometime. What do dutch houses look like? Maybe you could send me a photo. Thanks for the (...) (21 years ago, 30-Mar-03, to lugnet.castle)

        Re: Provincial village update —David Simmons
     Hi Jon, Just clicking through a few of the buildings I'm really impressed at your ability to model objects at minifig scale. The Glass Blower and Butcher were especially great. I love the sausage machine! Perchance are you a set decorator? You (...) (21 years ago, 29-Mar-03, to lugnet.castle)

         Re: Provincial village update —Jon Furman
     David, THanks for the comments, as for your question about set dressing, I can only answer, "I wish!" Actually thee are a lot of detail and art direction roles I'd like, but for now I'll just have to stick to doing it Lego style. I apprecaite your (...) (21 years ago, 30-Mar-03, to lugnet.castle)

        Re: Provincial village update —James Stacey
     Very cool indeed Jon. Great use of colour and fantastic compact design. Those houses look great when all clustered together. Lots of nice interior detail too, the one thing that I never have the imagination to add :) The new muted colours really (...) (21 years ago, 1-Apr-03, to lugnet.castle)

        Re: Provincial village update —Andrew Saada
   (...) Jon, Hey, sorry I didn't reply to this sooner! (Now I can comment without using email.) These are some really great additions to your village! I think the sand and scala blues work well. Once again, the detail is outstanding! The Cooper (...) (21 years ago, 2-Apr-03, to lugnet.castle)