 CAD / MLCad / 1474
1473  |  1475
Subject:
Quick clear, Buffer Exchange and Ghost parts tutorial
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad, lugnet.inst
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 00:30:43 GMT

Hi,

The first you should know is that models with instructions steps that use
CLEAR, BUFFER EXCHANGE and GHOST commands generally look really weird when
viewed in "Place" mode.

Download "waggon1.mpd" from Michael's site at

http://www.lm-software.com/mlcad/

And you'll see what I mean (studying this file is key to understanding this
commands). This is because these commands offer very sophisticated services
focused on creating superior instructions steps, even at the cost on
creating "bad" MLCad models.

The effect of these commands can only be seen in "View" mode (or in images
or steps exported as files). None of them act as steps (unlike STEP,
ROTATION STEP and END ROTATION STEP)

CLEAR statements erase from the screen any elements that preceed them.

The basic functioning is:

Step 1 - Add some parts

Step 2 - Add more parts

Step 3 - CLEAR the screen and add more parts

What is this good for? When building instructions, it allows us to show how
to build separate modules and then how to put them together at the end. Yes,
I know - you can achieve this automatically using MPD files. This is just
another way. Also, CLEAR statements usueally mean that parts have to be
copied again in latter steps - not very efficient.

But if you look at the bright side, CLEAR allows us to create animations
directly in MLCad - place each frame in a separate STEP with a CLEAR
statement at the beginning. Using MLCads' robust export options and maybe
even the post-processor screen and you will be doing movies without leaving
MLCad.

BUFFER EXCHANGE statements are sophisticated versions of the CLEAR
statement. Instead of erasing the contents, it records or restores up to 8
different buffers. This avoids the repeated copying of parts when using
CLEAR statements - we recall the appropriate buffer instead.

GHOST parts are only relevant in MPD models with CLEAR or BUFFER EXCHANGE
statements. They are a bit tricky to understand: the key is to study
Michael's file cited above (and not MLCad's English help file, which
incorrect in this matter).

MPD models can include steps both for the main model and for each of the
submodels. If the submodels are used as parts in the main model, they will
include all parts the parts in the submodel's file. Like duh!

Well, not really - what happens if we use "extra" parts with CLEAR and/or
BUFFER EXCHANGE statements in the submodels steps? Since CLEAR and BUFFER
EXCHANGE only work within the submodel's file, the "extra" parts they wipe
out come right back in the main model.

Enter GHOST - any "GHOSTED" part included in a MPD submodel will not appear
in the instructions steps for the main model.

Needless to say, these (little used) commands are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G