 CAD / MLCad / 1536
Re: Buffer Exchange and Ghost parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.mlcad, lugnet.inst
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 15:48:09 GMT

This is a bit old thread, but I wonder if sombody can answer me how this
Buffer Exchange command affects the partlist?
I just found out how to make subassemblies and then put the subasembly part
into the main model by first using Buffer Exchange Save, then build the
subassembly, use Buffer Exchange Retrive and then copy the subassembly into
the final possition. Thanx Kevin for making this clear to me.

But it now looks like I've now got double amount of all the parts from the
subassebly.

Is there any other way to do this?

Regards
Øyvind Steinnes
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Phoenix

"Kevin Clague" <kevin_clague@yahoo.com> wrote in message
I've read the explanation for buffer exhange and I think I understand.

In view mode, as you "step" through your design, MLCad displays the new
parts added in each step.  Buffers let you take a snapshot (a picture) of
the design as it looks given the step that it is in.

Maybe we can give a little example

1  Add part 1
2  Add Part 2
3  Record design up to this point in buffer A (parts 1 and 2)
4  STEP
5  Add Part 3
6  STEP
7  Forget the current design (1, 2, 3) and remember the design from buffer • A.

After step 3, the design only has parts 1 and 2 in it.

This is a terse explanation.  The example that someone emailed me was to
add a part (part 1) to the design, then record the design in buffer A, • then
STEP.

After the step, a second part (part 2) was added not in its final resting
place, but about 6 studs away with an arrow (made of line and triangle)
going from the new part to where it should be attached to the design (part
1).  The part and arrow were followed by a step.

The step is followed by a recall of the model from buffer A, which throws
out the part and arrow.  Part 2 was then added again, but in its final
resting place.  Then STEP.

In view mode this shows us:
1.  Part 1 added
2.  Part 1 and part 2 with an arrow showing how to connect part 2 to part • 1.
3.  Part 1 with part 2 in its final resting place.

This is a very powerful feature for making building instructions, in that
you can make MLCad show how to merge sub-assemblies together into complete
assemblies, complete with arrows to show how they fit together.

I hope this helps.

Kevin

In lugnet.cad.mlcad, Jaco van der Molen writes:
Does anyone have example DAT and/or MPD files that are using the Buffer
Exchange, Ghost parts and Rotation Steps in MLCad? I do not understand • these
at all, but I know they can be a powerfull tool in making instructions.

OK, Rotation steps are becomming clear now.
But Buffer Exchange... it can be such a nice feature. It must be possible • to
"...display a certain part above the the model first, and in the next • step
inserted into the model..." like the helpfiles say. I just cannot get it • to
work.

No offense Michael, but a good explaination would be nice. I do not
understand the way you explain it in the helpfiles.

Is there really no one who can explain this so I can understand? Michael?
Please help! Thanks.

Jaco