Re: Help writing LDraw's history
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 2008 04:31:27 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Willy Tschager wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Willy Tschager wrote:
   Hi folks,

as you might know LDraw’s history:

http://www.ldraw.org/Article11.html

hasn’t been updated for a long time. With permission from BrickJournal publisher Joe Meno I’m going to mirror an article published in BrickJournal, Spring 2006, Volume #1, Issue 4, which covers also the missing years ‘til 2004. This leaves us with 2005, 2006 and 2007. I browsed the various newsgroups compiling a chart of the highlights, but the list is far from being complete. Feel free to add the missing pieces. I’m gonna put it into a fine reading once the highlights are complete.

Willy,

Good summary of the past couple years. Two things I’d love to see are:

1) A side-by-side timeline of development and milestones for various LDraw tools. Somewhat like a Gantt chart.

2) A feature matrix of the various tools and the major functions they perform.

I can put the graphics together if there’s a comprehensive tool list and people can fill in release dates and associated summaries.

-Tim

Hi Tim,

any help is much appriciated and I’d love to see such a graphic along with the history. Best would be if our code gods could reply to this post and list the release dates of their tools.

Here’s a quick list of what’s on LDraw.org right now. The pieces of data that will help make this chart are:
  • Program Name (below)
  • URL
  • Author
  • Release Date
  • Version Dates
  • Major Milestones
  • Current Version
  • Current Version Release Date
Here’s the list:
  • LDraw 0.27
  • 3DWin
  • BrickDraw3D
  • Bricksmith
  • Coverer
  • DAT2DXF
  • DATHeader
  • Fractal Landscape Generator
  • Isecalc
  • L2P
  • l2rib
  • L3Lab
  • L3P
  • L3P Launcher for Mac OSX
  • Lcad Calculator
  • LCX
  • LDGLite
  • LDLink
  • LDList
  • LDLite
  • LDMerge
  • LDPara
  • LDraw Boxer
  • LDraw Design Pad
  • LDraw Parts Library - Linux and Mac OS Distribution
  • Ldraw Primitive Generator
  • LDraw Script Compiler (LDS)
  • LDraw-Mode
  • LDView
  • LDXNA library
  • LEGO Digital Designer
  • Lego Sphere Generator
  • Lemon
  • LeoCAD
  • LGEO POV-Ray Library
  • Linetrim
  • LPub
  • LSynth
  • MegaPOV
  • Mesh-Enhancer
  • MLCad
  • MPD Builder
  • MPD Workshop
  • MPDCenter
  • OLC
  • OMRMaker
  • Parts Catalog
  • PartsList
  • PlanarCheck
  • POV-Ray
  • PreL3P
  • Progressive Fans Representation (PFRep)
  • Seamhay DatCounter
  • Spring2DAT
  • SR 3D Builder
  • STL2DAT
  • txt2dat
  • Voxel3D
  • Ytruder
I pasted these into a Google spreadsheet here:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pmqiRvqnStwRrj34KCn9eQA&hl=en

If anyone wants to be invited as a collaborator so you can edit it, let me know. I admit the columns aren’t set up perfectly (as there could be any number of release dates/milestone dates to capture), if anyone has a better suggestion for the one:many nature of those dates feel free to suggest it.

-Tim

   w.

ps. I really should word the missing years but have to finish the L(EGO)Draw part I’m fixing right now first: http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/40242 a tricky little thing.