Re: Help writing LDraw's history
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sat, 19 Apr 2008 22:14:13 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Michael Heidemann wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney wrote:

Good news - I found an XML based dynamic timeline generator. I’ve plugged in a couple dates on my local machine, and I’m testing for how to deal with events and spans aesthetically. I’ll post it when I have a bit more info filled in, then we can start seeing it come together.

-Tim

Here is my working file of the timeline:

http://www.timcourtney.net/ldraw-timeline/timeline.html

It’s not 100% to what’s in the spreadsheet, but it gives a good idea of what’s possible.

snip

   For more information on the timeline project, see:

http://simile.mit.edu/timeline/

-Tim

snip
   I agree with you on each tool being a line, or at least groupings of tools being together. However I haven’t figured out how to get the timeline to do that just yet. It seems to me that it takes the next available space for a line.

You post helped me clear up how to add versions - it would require a separate event w/start/end for each version. Lots of extra coding, but definitely more informative.

I’m going to start by continuing to fill the large spans just to get the big picture. Then, we can play with how to get everything nicely in the rows we want and at that point add individual versions.

Feel free to look at the Timeline documentation and see if you can find ways to accomplish this. I’ve poked around quite a bit and yesterday I sent their team an email, so we’ll see. I’ll look around some more myself, too.

http://simile.mit.edu/timeline/

-Tim
I could not get the prog to do what I want. It places the events on the line it wants, not like I want. I did not find a way to tell the prog that I want some events on the same line.

I think for what we want to do this prog is not the right choice!

cu mikeheide