Re: Help writing LDraw's history
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2008 20:27:18 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney wrote:
To keep moving this forward, I asked a LinkedIn question on the topic seeking
help from a JS developer. This gentleman was kind enough to put a few cycles
into it. Here are the results. I'm posting the question/answer thread in
reverse chronological order, his most recent reply on top.

My current line of thinking is this: It looks like MLCad's band is so tall
because of the length of the text associated with each dot. What if it didn't
print the text next to the dot but displayed when the dot was clicked on and
the overlay balloon comes up? I asked him if this is possible, and I'll see
what he says.

Comments welcome.

-Tim

Jean-Marc came back to me today with an interesting solution I think might work.
See http://www.jmf-ds.fr/tim_courtney/timeline_2.html. Click on MLCad's ball,
then "Details" within the window. The specific versions will appear in the large
band below.

What does everyone think about this?

Below is Jean-Marc's response with explanation. I think it's a good compromise
and is getting very close to working for our purposes -- if not, good enough we
can go with it and finish fleshing out the timeline.

-Tim

--
Hi Tim,

You're welcome. I've just realized now what you wanted to do: have all spots
appear in the first event's blue span.

I'm affraid it is not possible, because this span is part of an event (just like
its purple dot and title), and the Timeline API is designed not to mix things up
(for legibility reasons, obviously).

It seems you have quite a few events to display into the same timeline, which is
tricky as soon as you want to sort things neatly. OK, I've thought of another
approach, please let me know your thoughts.

Have a look at : http://www.jmf-ds.fr/tim_courtney/timeline_2.html

You can see a Timeline object with 3 Bands:

    * the Band on top refers to an XML I made from your original file, and that
is supposed to contain only 'duration' events or single events that won't fit in
any kind of group.
    * the Band in the middle appears as empty first.
    * the Band at the bottom is the same as in the previous version, a general
Band that contains all the available events.

You can see what I tried to suggest if you click on the MLCad or the LDView
'duration' events on top: in the popup layer that appears, you'll see a
"Details" link. Click on it.
Detailed informations on releases and versions should appear in the central
Band. They have been retrieved from another (either the "mlcad_details.xml" or
the "ldview_details.xml") XML file that just contains the events related to the
project you clicked on.

I suppose it's one of the most simple ways to have a legible timeline (in terms
of lifespans) still able to show a complete historical reference.

I tried another approach, but IE7 didn't like it when I instantiated more than 4
Bands in the same Timeline object, whereas Firefox had no problem (JavaScript
browser implemention issue, I suppose...)
I actually wanted to use one Band as the "title band", where a 'duration' event
only was stated, and right under, another band which contained the related,
detailed events. Defauld (launch) display showed the 'title bands' only,
and when clicking on the Detail link, the underlying Band appeared, pushing down
all subsequent bands except the bottom, general one. And reverse back to normal
position.
Worked fine until I got this issue with IE7, which I couldn't get rid of, so I
gave it up.

I have no other idea at the moment, but I see your point, and actually I'd
really like to find a nice idea to bend the Timeline API 'our' way (as I'd like
to use it too now I got more into depth within it).

Please let me know.

BR

Jean-Marc