Re: Help writing LDraw's history
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 2008 04:31:27 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Willy Tschager wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Willy Tschager wrote:
   Hi folks,

as you might know LDraw’s history:

http://www.ldraw.org/Article11.html

hasn’t been updated for a long time. With permission from BrickJournal publisher Joe Meno I’m going to mirror an article published in BrickJournal, Spring 2006, Volume #1, Issue 4, which covers also the missing years ‘til 2004. This leaves us with 2005, 2006 and 2007. I browsed the various newsgroups compiling a chart of the highlights, but the list is far from being complete. Feel free to add the missing pieces. I’m gonna put it into a fine reading once the highlights are complete.

Willy,

Good summary of the past couple years. Two things I’d love to see are:

1) A side-by-side timeline of development and milestones for various LDraw tools. Somewhat like a Gantt chart.

2) A feature matrix of the various tools and the major functions they perform.

I can put the graphics together if there’s a comprehensive tool list and people can fill in release dates and associated summaries.

-Tim

Hi Tim,

any help is much appriciated and I’d love to see such a graphic along with the history. Best would be if our code gods could reply to this post and list the release dates of their tools.

Here’s a quick list of what’s on LDraw.org right now. The pieces of data that will help make this chart are:
  • Program Name (below)
  • URL
  • Author
  • Release Date
  • Version Dates
  • Major Milestones
  • Current Version
  • Current Version Release Date
Here’s the list:
  • LDraw 0.27
  • 3DWin
  • BrickDraw3D
  • Bricksmith
  • Coverer
  • DAT2DXF
  • DATHeader
  • Fractal Landscape Generator
  • Isecalc
  • L2P
  • l2rib
  • L3Lab
  • L3P
  • L3P Launcher for Mac OSX
  • Lcad Calculator
  • LCX
  • LDGLite
  • LDLink
  • LDList
  • LDLite
  • LDMerge
  • LDPara
  • LDraw Boxer
  • LDraw Design Pad
  • LDraw Parts Library - Linux and Mac OS Distribution
  • Ldraw Primitive Generator
  • LDraw Script Compiler (LDS)
  • LDraw-Mode
  • LDView
  • LDXNA library
  • LEGO Digital Designer
  • Lego Sphere Generator
  • Lemon
  • LeoCAD
  • LGEO POV-Ray Library
  • Linetrim
  • LPub
  • LSynth
  • MegaPOV
  • Mesh-Enhancer
  • MLCad
  • MPD Builder
  • MPD Workshop
  • MPDCenter
  • OLC
  • OMRMaker
  • Parts Catalog
  • PartsList
  • PlanarCheck
  • POV-Ray
  • PreL3P
  • Progressive Fans Representation (PFRep)
  • Seamhay DatCounter
  • Spring2DAT
  • SR 3D Builder
  • STL2DAT
  • txt2dat
  • Voxel3D
  • Ytruder
I pasted these into a Google spreadsheet here:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pmqiRvqnStwRrj34KCn9eQA&hl=en

If anyone wants to be invited as a collaborator so you can edit it, let me know. I admit the columns aren’t set up perfectly (as there could be any number of release dates/milestone dates to capture), if anyone has a better suggestion for the one:many nature of those dates feel free to suggest it.

-Tim

   w.

ps. I really should word the missing years but have to finish the L(EGO)Draw part I’m fixing right now first: http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/40242 a tricky little thing.

Re: Help writing LDraw's history
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney wrote:

I pasted these into a Google spreadsheet here:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pmqiRvqnStwRrj34KCn9eQA&hl=en

If anyone wants to be invited as a collaborator so you can edit it, let me know. I admit the columns aren’t set up perfectly (as there could be any number of release dates/milestone dates to capture), if anyone has a better suggestion for the one:many nature of those dates feel free to suggest it.

If you just have version and release date columns, authors can add one row for each release. Please add me to the list, I will add the txt2dat info. Use the email I used to post this reply.

ROSCO

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Ross Crawford wrote:
   In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney wrote:

I pasted these into a Google spreadsheet here:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pmqiRvqnStwRrj34KCn9eQA&hl=en

If anyone wants to be invited as a collaborator so you can edit it, let me know. I admit the columns aren’t set up perfectly (as there could be any number of release dates/milestone dates to capture), if anyone has a better suggestion for the one:many nature of those dates feel free to suggest it.

If you just have version and release date columns, authors can add one row for each release. Please add me to the list, I will add the txt2dat info. Use the email I used to post this reply.

Sounds good. Invite sent.

-Tim

Re: Help writing LDraw's history
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney wrote:
   I pasted these into a Google spreadsheet here:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pmqiRvqnStwRrj34KCn9eQA&hl=en

If anyone wants to be invited as a collaborator so you can edit it, let me know. I admit the columns aren’t set up perfectly (as there could be any number of release dates/milestone dates to capture), if anyone has a better suggestion for the one:many nature of those dates feel free to suggest it.

LDView’s URL is http://ldview.sourceforge.net/. You can find LDView’s version history here:

http://ldview.sourceforge.net/ChangeHistory.html

The major releases all have their version number in a larger font and bold, and are x.y (as opposed to x.y.z). They are as follows:

0.1: 03 Jun, 2000 (Initial public release for testing.)
1.0: 17 Oct, 2000
2.0: 01 Jun, 2003
2.1: 03 Jan, 2004
3.0: 13 Dec, 2005
3.1: 09 Oct, 2006
3.2: 20 Aug, 2007 (Current)

Note that that’s just over 7 years worth of official releases, so I don’t think having more than 5 dates is excessive. If you want to pare it down to 5, use 1.0 (first non-alpha/beta release), 2.0, 3.0, 3.1, and 3.2.

--Travis

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Travis Cobbs wrote:
[...]

Travis,

Thanks for posting this info. I think it’s OK to have more than 5 dates, in fact, since I’d like to take this and visualize it somehow complete info is better. I can always cull it down to make it more visually presentable if needed.

I just sent you an invite to the Google sheet, would you mind adding the above?

-Tim

Re: Help writing LDraw's history
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney wrote:
   Travis,

Thanks for posting this info. I think it’s OK to have more than 5 dates, in fact, since I’d like to take this and visualize it somehow complete info is better. I can always cull it down to make it more visually presentable if needed.

I just sent you an invite to the Google sheet, would you mind adding the above?

OK, I added the info to the doc. I also created a Miscellaneous column, where I entered the two release dates that I didn’t put in the other spots (for 0.1 and 2.1). Oh, and I resized the URL column to fit the URL I entered. Other people should probably resize (within reason) if they’re longer.

For other people who want to use the Misc column: hit <Ctrl>+<Enter> to start a new line in the same field (presumably <Command>+<Enter> on a Mac).

--Travis

[...]

I’m filling in a little myself right now. You’re the only one who filled in data in the “milestone” columns. You interpreted that as version numbers.

I think it makes more sense to name the colums “VersionNumber#” to correspond with the “VersionDate#.” So I did this, and moved each next to the respective version.

I also highlighted the Original Release Date, Current Ver. Release Date, and Current Version Number columns as I believe they are the most important for visualizing this information.

-Tim

Re: Help writing LDraw's history
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney wrote:
   I’m filling in a little myself right now. You’re the only one who filled in data in the “milestone” columns. You interpreted that as version numbers.

I think it makes more sense to name the colums “VersionNumber#” to correspond with the “VersionDate#.” So I did this, and moved each next to the respective version.

I also highlighted the Original Release Date, Current Ver. Release Date, and Current Version Number columns as I believe they are the most important for visualizing this information.

OK. I rearranged mine to make 0.1 the “Original Release”. I pushed other versions over and replaced 0.1 in the Misc column with 3.1. Also, I didn’t like the spreadsheet stripping of the .0, so I added a v prefix to all my version numbers so they’d be treated as strings. If you know how to force them to be strings without a prefix, feel free to make that change.

I would suggest swapping all the version/date columns so that the version column precedes the date column. I think that would make the spreadsheet more readable. I would do it, but since you setup the spreadsheet, I’m not going to make that change, since it’s an opinion.

--Travis

[...]

Thanks. Not sure on the string bit. For starters I’d like to get the data filled out to the point where I can work on graphing it with Excel, Numbers or possibly even Illustrator. I’m not as concerned with the string for that reason as I’ll manually translate the info into a graphic with a callout or a mouseover callout.

BTW - if anyone has ideas for illustrating this I’m all ears. I have a concept in mind but open to ideas.

   I would suggest swapping all the version/date columns so that the version column precedes the date column. I think that would make the spreadsheet more readable. I would do it, but since you setup the spreadsheet, I’m not going to make that change, since it’s an opinion.

Good suggestion. I’m typing this out right before heading to bed, you’re welcome to make the swap if you like. I haven’t had time over the last few days to work on this but hope to put some more into it in the next couple.

Just logged in and it’s filling out quite nicely. Thanks (and thanks Philo as well) for the help!

-Tim

[...]

Good news - I found an XML based dynamic timeline generator. I’ve plugged in a couple dates on my local machine, and I’m testing for how to deal with events and spans aesthetically. I’ll post it when I have a bit more info filled in, then we can start seeing it come together.

-Tim

Re: Help writing LDraw's history