 CAD / Development / 9746
Re: I have an idea . What if we make a game
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 03:41:21 GMT

  - All computer OS , for now windows, linux and macos if anyone wants to port it

It is always best to start it out working on all platforms.  There are several
code libraries that can be used that are multiplatform.  I think the most
popluar is SDL (libsdl).  If you used something Microsoft/Apple proprietary,
like .NET/DirectX (MS) or Cocoa (Apple), it will never work on anything else.

I stop now because I need comments and ideas from other people.

Oh I believe is possible to do but I don't know how to program but we can use
game maker, about graphic well I need help on that too.

Hope this comes true someday

It sounds cool, but unless you recruited a game programmer, I doubt it will ever
happen.  Just look at the current developer landscape.  Nobody is really getting
any monetary return, and the project you speak of is huge.

In spite of all of that, I will just muse on the topic.

You say 2d.  Do you mean 2nd person, viewed from above or angle?

There are 2 major methods to programming games: sprites and 3d engine.

This is sprites:
http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/demos/movies/Player_01Z.mov

This is 3d:
http://nwdownloads.bioware.com/neverwinternights/movies/NWNMacworld.mov

LDraw models don't translate well into 3d because they are too complex.  They
would have to be simplified.  I think people have wanted to write a tool to do
this so that DatsVille is easier to render, and it still isn't written.

To do it with sprites is totally different.  Someone would have to come up with
someway to convert Ldraw models into sprites, which wouldn't be that hard, but
has its own issues.

James