 CAD / Development / 9329
Re: [Parts Tracker] PT-to-PN Authentication
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 15:07:44 GMT

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 02:50:46PM +0000, Orion Pobursky wrote:
A third-party cookie is a type of persistent cookie that is placed on
your computer, not by the Web site you are visiting, but by an
advertiser or other third party. "Block 3rd party cookies" blocks
cookies from third-party Web sites.

What it means is say I include an image from peeron.com in my post on
lugnet, using the FTX image tag. Now, when you view my post via the web
interface, your browser will go to peeron.com to get the image and
display it to you.  When your browser retreives my image, I can have
peeron set a cookie on your computer.  That's called a 3rd party cookie
- basically, a cookie is set by a server different than the one you're
visiting.

Does that make sense?

FUT o-t.geek

--