 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 6091
Re: Part Authors: opinions sought on T-Junctions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 00:09:33 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Timothy Gould wrote:
   It’s possible that by setting up meshes POVray can largely avoid the problem as it rotates points and then joins them. My opinion is that Part Authors should stick to keeping the polygon count down rather than jumping through hoops to try to avoid a problem which I suspect is fairly rare and not that important (it’s only likely to be a problem at high-zoom).

It’s not really constrained to high zoom. If you have a 1% chance of any given pixel along any given T-junction boundary edge resulting in a hole, then you’ll have the roughly the same number of holes at any zoom level, since in general the only reason to be zoomed further out is because there are more parts. It’s true that the holes will be more randomly scattered (instead of showing up in lines like my example), but they will still be present in roughly equal quantities. Note also that they tend to be more obvious when rotating a part, as their random nature causes them to pop in and out of existence, attracting the eye to their presense.

And even if POV-Ray doesn’t suffer from the problem (which I still don’t know one way or another), the relatively small number of additional polygons are likely to have a minimal impact on the performance of POV-Ray. I’d say that they’re unlikely to have a significant impact of the performance of realtime viewers also, but since it can provide a noticeable improvement in realtime viewers, I think it’s more helpful there.

--Travis