 CAD / 17493
Re: iPad and Android
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 2010 01:15:29 GMT

Not that I'm aware of.  The biggest issue I can think of is how to handle the
library.  I think the best way would be to convert it to a binary format and
update the app every time a new parts update is released.

This is an issue I considered during my brief fling with a Java-based LDraw web
viewer:

http://anoved.net/2010/01/online-ldraw-viewer/

I own a 4th-gen iPod Touch, and I even have an iPad at work, so I've considered
it. I think it could be done for the iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch.  In fact, I could
see a pared-down LDView running there quite happily.  The library could be a
simple zip file (either unzipped during the first run or simply left in zip
format depending on how that performed).

That would be really neat. Having a static library (e.g. pulling parts out of an
archive - perhaps even the LDraw.org zip download, for easy updates) seems like
the way to go.

On the building side of things, I think a touch-based editor (at least for
larger screen devices like the iPad or other tablets) could be very good, and
significantly flatten out the LDraw editor learning curve for newcomers. (That
said, I can also imagine many reasons why a touch-based editor would be
difficult to do or at least to do right.)

However, publishing such an app would require somebody to spend $100 per year on
an iOS developer account, and I'm not personally willing to do that.

Am I correct in understanding that the developer account fee is required to
publish apps but not necessarily to work on them personally? Although I haven't
done anything with it, I was able to download the iOS SDK for free (with the
free "entry level" developer connection account).

Jim