 CAD / 17492
Re: iPad and Android
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 2010 00:18:22 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Travis Cobbs wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Paul Sinasohn wrote:
Does anyone know of any efforts to build an LDraw display app for the
iPad or any Android system?

Not that I'm aware of.  The biggest issue I can think of is how to
handle the library.  I think the best way would be to convert it to a
binary format and update the app every time a new parts update is
released.

I own a 4th-gen iPod Touch, and I even have an iPad at work, so I've
considered it. I think it could be done for the iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch.
In fact, I could see a pared-down LDView running there quite happily.
The library could be a simple zip file (either unzipped during the first
run or simply left in zip format depending on how that performed).

A simple zip file also makes sense for Android.  I believe that SDK uses
java, and the .jar files used by java apps are really just .zip files with
a different file extension.

However, publishing such an app would require somebody to spend $100
per year on an iOS developer account, and I'm not personally willing
to do that.

Yeah, maybe it makes more sense to try and push the Bricasso app author
toward some sort of compatibility with ldraw.

Have fun,

Don