 CAD / 17496
Re: iPad and Android
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 17 Dec 2010 21:55:29 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jim DeVona wrote:
Am I correct in understanding that the developer account fee is required to
publish apps but not necessarily to work on them personally? Although I haven't
done anything with it, I was able to download the iOS SDK for free (with the
free "entry level" developer connection account).

It is true that you can download and install the iOS SDK with a free Apple
developer account, so you can in theory develop an app without paying any money.
However, in order to get the app onto a non-jailbroken iOS device, you have to
pay the fee to become an official iOS developer.  Furthermore, the Simulator is
just that, a simulator.  That means that it contains the iOS software stack, but
runs natively at the full speed of the Mac it's running on.  So you really have
no idea how an app will perform until you run it on an actual device.  (To make
matters worse, the OpenGL ES driver in the simulator claims to be an Apple
software driver; I suspect that their "software" driver is based on the
underlying system hardware-accelerated driver, although I could be wrong about
that.  What I can say with some degree of confidence is that the performance you
get out of it won't match up with the device hardware performance.)

--Travis