 CAD / 16844
Re: Minifig Extractor/Manipulator?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 2010 06:58:20 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tore Eriksson wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Orion Pobursky wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Michael Horvath wrote:
On 1/9/2010 3:49 PM, Orion Pobursky wrote:
I think my minifig generator for LDDP might be able to be modified
to do this.  I'll look into it.

Of course the problem with this approach is that you have to learn Yet
Another ApplicationTM to do what you want.

So how about this time we do something universal?  We've talked this up
before at least once:

  http://news.lugnet.com/cad/?n=11517

Who wants to step forward and propose some generic META commands to
at least identify a group of parts that belong to a single minifig?
Can we adapt the existing MLCAD group meta command for this by requiring
the word MINIFIG as the first part of the group name?  Something like this:

  0 GROUP 8 MINIFIG OctanMan
  0 MLCAD BTG MINIFIG OctanMan
  1 ... left leg

Is that agreeable?  Or would it be better to start from scratch?

I support extending the language.  Maybe not in the above form but in some form.
I'd also love to see something like the MLCad.ini minifig entries standardized.
It doesn't have to be officially supported, a de facto standard is still a
standard.

-Orion

Me too. I would prefer if we could set a standard within existing META-command
sets, but I doubt that it may meet our requirements.

Btw, what are our requirements? What do we want achieve?
I could think of:
1. Standard tags that indicate...
1a. MINIFIG object starts here (and an end tag is probably desirable, too)
1b. MINIFIG part or accessory
2. The possibilities to both manipulate the minifig either within the model (as
a "GROUP"???) or extract minifig into a new single minifig sub-model.
3. A "connections database" to aid the various minifig manipulators (be it
plug-in, built-in features or stand-alone utilities; all kinds should be able to
find the information needed in one file). Unfortunately, it looks like MLCad.ini
doesn't provide sufficient data for this right now. Maybe LDConfig.ldr would be
the appropriate place to host this information? Who says that it should only
contain colour data? Or, I have just a very vauge idea of how the ROTATION
CENTER and CONFIG metacommands work, but maybe they can do that work? I suspect
not, but I just brainstorm a little.

Here is what I have found out about that META commands:
0 ROTATION CENTER 0 0 0 1 "Custom1"
0 ROTATION CENTER 2 3 4 1 "New Custom"
The first three numbers are the xyz values of the rotation point
The fourth number indicates the "Allow on-screen change"
The string at the end is the name of that rotation point.

0 ROTATION CONFIG 1 0
The first number indicates the current aktive point from above list.
The second number indicates "Show rotation point"

As this value is used for the complete model it can not be of any help with our
current problem IMHO.

cu
mikeheide