 CAD / 16806

Subject:
Minifig manipulator?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 2010 01:58:26 GMT

Are there any tools that allow you to manipulate a minifig AFTER you place it
into a file?  I realize that MLCad has a minifig generator, which is fantastic,
but once you place the fig, to produce another pose, you need to generate a new
fig from scratch...

Anyone have any suggestions?

-Andy Lynch

Re: Minifig manipulator?
Are there any tools that allow you to manipulate a minifig AFTER you place it
into a file?  I realize that MLCad has a minifig generator, which is fantastic,
but once you place the fig, to produce another pose, you need to generate a new
fig from scratch...

Anyone have any suggestions?

I haven't used the minifig feature, but it looks like SR 3D Builder
(http://staff.polito.it/sergio.reano/) has a pretty nice minifig poser (see
around 2:00 in for editing of existing pose):

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=xSergio74#p/u/2/B3icB3f1yac

Jim

Re: Minifig manipulator?
I haven't used the minifig feature, but it looks like SR 3D Builder
(http://staff.polito.it/sergio.reano/) has a pretty nice minifig poser (see
around 2:00 in for editing of existing pose):

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=xSergio74#p/u/2/B3icB3f1yac

Jim

Wow.  I hadn't seen that tool before.  I didn't get to try out the minifig poser
yet, but the connection and rotation features make it something that I'm really
going to look into. Thanks!

-Andy

Re: Minifig manipulator?
I haven't used the minifig feature, but it looks like SR 3D Builder
(http://staff.polito.it/sergio.reano/) has a pretty nice minifig poser (see
around 2:00 in for editing of existing pose):

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=xSergio74#p/u/2/B3icB3f1yac

Jim

All I can say is WOW!

Michael Horvath
mikh2161@gmail.com
http://isometricland.com

Re: Minifig manipulator?
Are there any tools that allow you to manipulate a minifig AFTER you place it
into a file?  I realize that MLCad has a minifig generator, which is fantastic,
but once you place the fig, to produce another pose, you need to generate a new
fig from scratch...

Anyone have any suggestions?

-Andy Lynch

I always insert minifigs as submodels for this reason. I also wish I could
insert them as MLCad-Part like the spring.

cu
mikeheide

Are there any tools that allow you to manipulate a minifig AFTER you place it
into a file?  I realize that MLCad has a minifig generator, which is fantastic,
but once you place the fig, to produce another pose, you need to generate a new
fig from scratch...

Anyone have any suggestions?

-Andy Lynch

I always insert minifigs as submodels for this reason. I also wish I could
insert them as MLCad-Part like the spring.

cu
mikeheide

I think it would be relatively easy ro create a program that:
* Opens an LCad model file
* Uses MLCad.ini or something in its likeness to scan for and identify minifig
parts
* Extracts a minifig into a new file
* Writes a reference to the new file in the original model file
* Writes undo information in the original model file
* Scan for next minifig or quit

The reference to the minifig should be made so that the hips part is @
0 0 0  1 0 0  0 1 0  0 0 1
in the minifig model file for easier manipulation.
The manipulator could be in the same program or a separate (maybe an already
existing?) app.

I don't think I have what it takes anymore to make such a program, but it would
surprise me if this is any challange for any other LCad programmer?

/Tore

Re: Minifig Extractor/Manipulator?