 CAD / 16813
Re: Minifig Extractor/Manipulator?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 2010 19:41:54 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tore Eriksson wrote:
The reference to the minifig should be made so that the hips part is @
0 0 0  1 0 0  0 1 0  0 0 1
in the minifig model file for easier manipulation.

No.  Absolutely not.  For this to be worthwhile, the original positional and
rotational data should be retained when extracting the minifig.  Consider what
would happen if you are extracting a minifig whose hips are not oriented at
right angles, like one that's in a reclined seating position.  It would be
tilted at an angle, and the reference point data would be fractional in at least
two dimensions.  Basically what that means is that it would be practically
impossible to ever reposition the minifig back where it came from.

To be useful for manipulating placed minifigs, it needs to be able to handle
having the torso/hips in a non-vertical plane, and it needs to be able to rotate
the upper body in relation to the legs in addition to being able to rotate the
legs around the rest of the body (which the current MLCad minifig generator is
incapable of doing).  Most importantly, though, is that if this is supposed to
be a better alternative to simply keeping track of the numbers you used and
doing trial-and-error processing with the minifig generator, it needs to be able
to put the minifig back exactly where it came from (aside from any changes you
made to the positioning).