 CAD / 16843
Re: Simple LDraw viewer code for Processing.org
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 12 Jan 2010 06:32:47 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Andy Lynch wrote:
Well, in the interests of sharing, as this community does so well, here's the
basics of a simple LDraw viewer that I wrote in the Processing language about a
year and a half ago. It is by no means complete, but it will display small
models (if you edit the source to load the model, right near the beginning of
the main code... no way to pick from a listing)  Processing is so friendly that
I was able to build this basic viewer in just a week or two, then life jumped in
and took over all my time again, as usual.

The neat thing about Processing is that since it is based on Java it is possible
to export Processing programs (excluding some functions) as cross-platform
applets that can be embedded in web pages.

So, what Andy has created is the basis for an online LDraw viewer! One possible
application of this is to allow people without LDraw installations to
nevertheless view models in 3d using their browsers. To illustrate the
feasibility of this I made a quick hack online version of the code that displays
a fully-inlined model (so no part library is required):

http://anoved.net/files/alvlite-test/

I look forward to seeing how this progresses.

Jim