 CAD / 16603
Re: New parts and color definition
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 2009 23:28:22 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Michael Heidemann wrote:
   Please see also the comments about this issue on http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/73435.dat

The key thing I think should be brought away from those comments is the original LDraw handling of transparent colors. Colors 32-47 are simply transparent versions of colors 0-15. So, color 39 is a transparent version of color 7 (light gray), and color 40 is a transparent version of color 8 (dark gray). This seems to have caused the following two problems:
  • Real parts don’t come in those two colors, so one of the two needed to be picked for smoke. Prior to the creation of ldconfig.ldr, color 39 (trans light gray) was picked. (I think this is what happened; someone please correct me if I’m wrong on this.)
  • When ldconfig.ldr was introduced (apparently in 2003) it included color 40, but not color 39, even though the official parts library at that time included parts using color 39, but no parts using color 40.
Personally, I’m of the opinion that the original ldconfig.ldr was at fault here, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that color 39 should be used going forward. The RGB values for color 40 in ldconfig.ldr are the same as for color 8 (dark gray). Maybe those are closer to being correct than the RGB values for gray to achieve “smoke”.

--Travis