 CAD / 16250
Re: Assembled parts, ~ and categories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 2009 14:38:07 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Willy Tschager wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
It is common practice to prefix parts that compose assembled parts
with a ~.  This prevent using them needlessly (they are not listed
with regular parts), encouraging the use of assembled shortcuts.

I'd like to chime in on this but from another perspective:
non-consistency when using the tilde. The synthesized hose parts 755
and 756 have the tilde, but the hose end parts 750 and 752 do not.
Apply this logic to the minifig chain and the link part 209 should
have the tilde, but the end part 208 should not.

It would be key for a user-friendly usage when working with LSynth
that "208.dat - Minifig Chain Link End (Open File for Usage Guide)"
gets "unhidden" in the parts library.

I'd also like to chime in here to agree with Willy.  To make a rubber
hose or a minifig chain with LSynth, you must first position the 2 end
parts manually.  So you need to be able to find them in your parts
list.  The synth process will place the internal segments, so you
don't really need to see those in your parts list.  (If you're crazy
enough to place all the segments manually, then you're probably also
clever enough to find the internal parts without selecting them from a
parts list).

Does it make sense to create another prefix (like say *) for these
parts that you may need to place manually, but aren't actually whole
parts.  That way the mklist program wouldn't necessarily hide them,
but a CAD program could be set up to optionally hide or list them?
We could use the same sort of thing for the moving parts of a piston
assembly.

Don