 CAD / 16217
  Assembled parts, ~ and categories

It is common practice to prefix parts that compose assembled parts with a ~. This prevent using them needlessly (they are not listed with regular parts), encouraging the use of assembled shortcuts. But this practice is not ratified by any official (...) (15 years ago, 24-May-09, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Assembled parts, ~ and categories

(...) I'd like to chime in on this but from another perspective: non-consistency when using the tilde. The synthesized hose parts 755 and 756 have the tilde, but the hose end parts 750 and 752 do not. Apply this logic to the minifig chain and the (...) (15 years ago, 3-Jun-09, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Assembled parts, ~ and categories

(...) I'd also like to chime in here to agree with Willy. To make a rubber hose or a minifig chain with LSynth, you must first position the 2 end parts manually. So you need to be able to find them in your parts list. The synth process will place (...) (15 years ago, 3-Jun-09, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Assembled parts, ~ and categories

(...) There is one document that introduced this. (URL) found we have different problems to solve: 1) Usage of the tilde '~' for files in the \s folder. 2) Usage of the tilde '~' for files in the \parts folder 3) Is the tilde '~' part of the (...) (15 years ago, 3-Jun-09, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Assembled parts, ~ and categories

(...) Hi folks, since there is no opposition to this request I'm gonna unhide the 208 currently at the PT: (URL) since we are here would you confirm that the lenght of the chain has changed over the years form 17.25 Studs to currently 16 Studs and (...) (15 years ago, 16-Jun-09, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Assembled parts, ~ and categories

(...) I can confirm two new sets (8958 and 6193) with the shorter chains. And now that we've opened this can of worms, what about unhiding the end studs (572a.dat) used in the pirate rigging and spiderman rope parts (76384, 75924, 572C02, and (...) (15 years ago, 18-Jun-09, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Assembled parts, ~ and categories

(...) As I am in the beta testing for the new DATHeader I need to have decisions for the above questions. At present many of the above is mixed on the PT. cu mikeheide (14 years ago, 13-Nov-09, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Assembled parts, ~ and categories

(...) 1) the leading ~ should be enforced for files in parts/s. 2a) a leading ~ is optional for files in parts, but should be present for physical components that are always delivered in combination with another. 2b) we need a better way to deal (...) (14 years ago, 13-Nov-09, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Assembled parts, ~ and categories

(...) Thanks for make that clear now. I have just also link this post in the wiki ((URL) so we can find it much quicker in the future. I have also put there a lot of other stuff that I feel we should keep for future use. cu mikeheide (14 years ago, 14-Nov-09, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Assembled parts, ~ and categories

(...) Hi, I read the above article and is OK, but many parts do not follow these requirements: for example part 71427C01.DAT distributed as official is named as assembly but contains the whole part definition inside with no references to any (...) (14 years ago, 18-Nov-09, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Assembled parts, ~ and categories

(...) The part you mentioned is certified a long time ago and rules changes over the time. So you will find surely old part in the library that are not according our current rules. Also the ...Cxx only advices that the real part is assembled by some (...) (14 years ago, 18-Nov-09, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Assembled parts, ~ and categories

(...) Please understand that the LDraw Parts Library is over 12 years old and standards evolve over time. Things that were done in 1999, when 71427c01.dat was created, wouldn't necessarily be done the same way now. *dNN.dat files are parts with (...) (14 years ago, 18-Nov-09, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Assembled parts, ~ and categories

(...) Working with the new version 3.1 I've announced today you'll notice that we included unhidden version of the Minifig Chain and String parts along with the LSynth constraints to work around this problem so changing the standard is no longer key (...) (14 years ago, 18-Nov-09, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Assembled parts, ~ and categories

(...) I can understand the problem of aged parts, but, again from a programmer approach, I have to manage both "old" and "new" parts, so it will be very helpful if all parts can follow the same coding and naming standard. Please, consider the (...) (14 years ago, 19-Nov-09, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Assembled parts, ~ and categories

(...) Maybe you are trying to interpret too much from the naming convention. A composite part (*cNN.dat) isn't necessarily comprised of parts that can move relative to each other, It might just be made of two or more separately moulded elements that (...) (14 years ago, 19-Nov-09, to lugnet.cad)