 CAD / 14477
Re: Fun with LDView Fly Through (A Minifig's Eye View)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2007 18:42:44 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Timothy Gould wrote:

   This POV is kind of trippy

There seems to be an awful lot of refraction looking through that canopy, incidentally, and some unexpected opacity in the front. I see povray did print a bunch of parse warnings related to refraction, and two rendering warnings:
Rendering Warning: Camera is inside a non-hollow object. Fog and participating media may not work as expected.
Possible Rendering Error: Maximum trace level reached! If your scene contains black spots read more about the max_trace_level setting in the documentation!
so there are still some things to figure out.

Thanks,

Jim

Hi Jim,

The second error there is certainly to blame for the opacity. You need to add a line
global_settings { max_trace_level N }
where N is high enough (probably 8 will do). Partially this is because LDraw parts are constructed of surfaces rather than solid blocks of material so that you end up passing through at least two transparent objects every time you go through a clear brick.

Thanks for the tip, Tim! The point about LDraw (and POV-Ray) objectives being comprised of surfaces rather than solids is worth keeping in mind, too.

After re-rendering the little test scene with max_trace_level set to 8, I realized that the front part of the canopy I had previously considered “opaque” is indeed transparent - the curvature of the canopy makes the nose of the ship appear to “bubble up” in front:

Improbability Shielding?

   Of course opacity is not neccessarily all that incorrect as a quick glance at a brick built windscreen will show :)

I suppose not. I had just hoped this windscreen “brick” would present a more plausible internal perspective!

On an unrelated note, did you ever see my question here about the sticker vectorization tool you announced here? I’m just curious what became of it because I haven’t been able to find any other information about it.

Be well,

Jim