 CAD / 14475
Re: Fun with LDView Fly Through (A Minifig's Eye View)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:35:45 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Jim DeVona wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   It’s worth noting that if you get the POV-Ray camera info from LDView and render in POV-Ray, you should get exactly the same view there (assuming you use the same aspect ratio).

I was thinking of that. I tried it briefly the other night but I must have had a different aspect ratio, because the rendering appeared far outside the ship. I’m getting up to speed on POV-Ray, though, so I’ll definitely try it again.

The aspect ratio shouldn’t make enough of a difference to put the camera out of the ship. It should only change the cropping. If you have the same aspect ratio, you should should get nearly pixel-perfect alignment of all polygons that don’t involve reflection or refraction. I’m not sure if this is a Mac-specific bug, or if you did something that I haven’t done in my testing on Windows.

You’re right - it does work. I retried it with L3P output and the view is positioned correctly. My previous effort used POV-Ray code from Anton’s converter. That’s not necessarily the reason it didn’t work before, though: it was late and I was tired. At any rate, LDView is certainly exonerated (not that it was accused).

This isn’t the exact same position as my previous LDView screenshot, but it confirms it works OK:

This POV is kind of trippy

There seems to be an awful lot of refraction looking through that canopy, incidentally, and some unexpected opacity in the front. I see povray did print a bunch of parse warnings related to refraction, and two rendering warnings:
Rendering Warning: Camera is inside a non-hollow object. Fog and participating media may not work as expected.
Possible Rendering Error: Maximum trace level reached! If your scene contains black spots read more about the max_trace_level setting in the documentation!
so there are still some things to figure out.

Thanks,

Jim