 CAD / 14469
  Fun with LDView Fly Through (A Minifig's Eye View)

I'm sure this has been done before, but I realized an amusing application of LDView's "fly through" camera mode is to look at the world through the eyes of a minifig, particularly from perspectives where you couldn't normally fit a camera (or your (...) (17 years ago, 19-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: Fun with LDView Fly Through (A Minifig's Eye View)

(...) That's a nice pic Jim. I seem to recall there was a view from inside a Santa Fe car a while back, can't remember who rendered it though :( ROSCO (17 years ago, 19-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: Fun with LDView Fly Through (A Minifig's Eye View)

(...) It's worth noting that if you get the POV-Ray camera info from LDView and render in POV-Ray, you should get exactly the same view there (assuming you use the same aspect ratio). (...) The sensitivity is pretty messed up. It doesn't properly (...) (17 years ago, 19-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: Fun with LDView Fly Through (A Minifig's Eye View)

(...) I was thinking of that. I tried it briefly the other night but I must have had a different aspect ratio, because the rendering appeared far outside the ship. I'm getting up to speed on POV-Ray, though, so I'll definitely try it again. (...) (...) (17 years ago, 19-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: Fun with LDView Fly Through (A Minifig's Eye View)

(...) The aspect ratio shouldn't make enough of a difference to put the camera out of the ship. It should only change the cropping. If you have the same aspect ratio, you should should get nearly pixel-perfect alignment of all polygons that don't (...) (17 years ago, 19-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: Fun with LDView Fly Through (A Minifig's Eye View)

(...) You're right - it does work. I retried it with L3P output and the view is positioned correctly. My previous effort used POV-Ray code from Anton's converter. That's not necessarily the reason it didn't work before, though: it was late and I was (...) (17 years ago, 19-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: Fun with LDView Fly Through (A Minifig's Eye View)

--snip-- (...) Hi Jim, The second error there is certainly to blame for the opacity. You need to add a line globalsettings maxtracelevel N where N is high enough (probably 8 will do). Partially this is because LDraw parts are constructed of surfaces (...) (17 years ago, 19-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: Fun with LDView Fly Through (A Minifig's Eye View)

(...) Thanks for the tip, Tim! The point about LDraw (and POV-Ray) objectives being comprised of surfaces rather than solids is worth keeping in mind, too. After re-rendering the little test scene with maxtracelevel set to 8, I realized that the (...) (17 years ago, 19-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.dev.mac, FTX)

  Re: Fun with LDView Fly Through (A Minifig's Eye View)

(Moved to lugnet.cad.ray.) (...) I think Anton's library isn't in LDraw units. Since the camera placement is in LDraw units, it won't work right. If you know the conversion factor, you can probably multiply the camera location by that and have it (...) (17 years ago, 19-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: Fun with LDView Fly Through (A Minifig's Eye View)

(...) Ah, that's a logical explanation. I just looked in the manual.txt that came with Anton's part library and it does state that it considers a POV-Ray unit 1 millimeter. If one (URL) LDraw unit> is equal to 0.4 mm, then the conversion probably is (...) (17 years ago, 19-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: Fun with LDView Fly Through (A Minifig's Eye View)

(...) Jim, In the Converter I divide every coordinate the LDraw model has by 2.5 and then I end up with the millimeter system I digitized everything with. I have (since I started to build my Library starting in 1992) always used millimeters when (...) (17 years ago, 19-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: Fun with LDView Fly Through (A Minifig's Eye View)

(...) Hi, Anton! Thanks for the explanation. That is a straightforward conversion. I divided LDView's reported camera location and lookat coordinates by 2.5, reversed the sign of the y coordinates, used the default right vector (positive x), and it (...) (17 years ago, 20-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)

  Re: Fun with LDView Fly Through (A Minifig's Eye View)

(...) Jim, You're welcome! What you could do with the scene is put a hundreds of thousands unit tall white box (not an infinitive plane, they'll add up to your rendering times!) behind the camera, it'll give you some indirectional lighting like I (...) (17 years ago, 20-Mar-07, to lugnet.cad.ray, FTX)