 CAD / 14403
Re: txt2dat on Mac OS X (was Re: Announcing Bitsticker)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.mac
Date:
Fri, 2 Mar 2007 06:34:06 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jim DeVona wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Ross Crawford wrote:

   In lugnet.cad, Jim DeVona wrote:

   Hey, txt2dat is cool! It looks like it should build on the Mac, too, so I’m puttering with rewriting the Makefile to make that happen. (The triangle library builds fine with the -DLINUX switch turned off.) It’s part of my new crusade to get every LDraw program on earth ported to the Mac. Any other LDraw utility authors - watch out! You’re next. ;-)

Hey, that’d be great! The makefile is a bit of a rat’s nest, because I borrowed it from the freetype library, and modified it. The main reason I did that was for cross-platform compatability, but I’ve never had a Mac to try on. If you can get it to build on the Mac, I’d be happy to work any changes into the official version.

Hi Ross,

It works! I just built it by hand, so I’ll write a simple makefile for it tomorrow. Only issue is that the version of Freetype 2 that comes with OS X doesn’t seem to know about FT_Orientation, so I just ifdeffed out the few bits that referred to that, possibly at the expense of handling certain cases (Postscript fonts which are wound the other way, perhaps? I dunno).

Hmmm, interesting. txt2dat is currently compiled against 2.1.9, I haven’t tried upgrading since txt2dat is the only thing I use it for. But the API doc at the freetype site still documents the FT_Orientation API. Also, version 2.3.1 (which I just downloaded to check) seems to include it. What version do you have?

It also documents the FT_OUTLINE_REVERSE_FILL flag, which I do vaguely remember from when I originally wrote the program, and can’t remember why I didn’t use it. Does your version support that flag? If so, I’ll look into using that instead. Type 1 (Postscript) fonts are wound the other way (at least the ones I have are) so we do need to take it into account.

   I have a proposition: working out a Mac build is great, but what would you say to adapting txt2dat to run on the web (like Bitsticker)? Even more than my Mac crusade, I like the idea of making all these LDraw tools more accessible to the casual user, who may not be so keen on the command line or even just installing lots of little programs. I’d be willing to work on that, when possible, and I could even host it since my web server supports compiled CGI “scripts.”

That’s also a great idea, but I’ll still continue to maintain the stand-alone executable separately, so it’ll be up to you to incorporate any changes I may make to the original :) Either way, I’m happy put a to link on my page.

ROSCO