 Books / 278
Re: The Brick Testament: Stories from the Book of Genesis -- now in stores!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.books
Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 2003 09:18:58 GMT

In lugnet.books, Bruce Hietbrink wrote:
   Wow! Congratulations, man.

Thanks, Bruce!

   I’ll definitely pick up a copy. No, maybe I’ll pick up a few thousand copies and start leaving them in hotel rooms. ;)

Ooh, I like the sound of that. @8^)

   Could you tell us a little more about this? How did it come about? Did a publisher approach you, or did you seek out a publisher for this?

It started to come about mid-last year when the president of Quirk Books happened to hear the broadcast of the interview with me on National Public Radio. He then checked out the website, liked what he saw, and contact me about the possibility of putting about a Brick Testament book.

   Were you able to use your original photos, or did you have to re-build scenes to take them at a higher resolution?

Fortunately for me, I had taken the original photos at a high enough resolution to make the book a possibility, so I did not need to reconstruct the stories from scratch. If I’d had to reconstruct and re-photograph everything, it would have probably meant that I would never have had time to do any updates to the websites in the last year (Exodus, The Wilderness, The Law).

   Are the scenes in the book the same as on the web, or are there others you had to add or delete?

With minor editing, the stories in the book appear as they do on the website. Most of the edits were done to save space and thereby allow more stories to make it into the book. Basically, they told me they wanted the book to be about 150 pages at most. After some cajoling, I got them to expand it to 176. Even at this length, every edit was painful for me, and done with reluctance, but I guess that’s how authors tend to feel about edits to their creative work.

One interesting difference in the book version is that there are no dialogue bubbles when people are speaking, just the text of the captions below. Whereas I like the feel of the dialogue bubbles on the website, it was felt that they didn’t translate as well into book form. I think it still reads easily enough without them, and this way it shows off the parts of the photos that were previously covered up by dialogue.

All the photos were re-touched up by me for the book, but a couple months back I made jpg’s of the re-touched up photos and used those to replace the original ones on the website. The only scene that did get reconstructed was The Garden of Eden, for the cover shot. Also, each story has its own new chapter opening image.

Hope to hear your comments on the book when it arrives! Thanks as ever for your interest and support, Bruce.

-Rev. Smith