 Books / 258
Re: Japanese Lego book : 'Lego Book Museum'
Newsgroups:
lugnet.books, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 26 Jul 2003 18:27:42 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

"Colin" <freshfroot@btinternet.com> wrote in message
Hello folks

This is probably old news for everyone, but I have been off-line for some
time.

On a work trip to Japan last week, I saw a brand-new Lego book that I have
not seen anywhere else, called 'Lego Book Museum, Volume 1'. I brought a
copy back to the UK with me, and I have posted a short review and some
pictures of the book (sorry, copyright fans) on my website at
www.btinternet.com/~freshfroot

It is an official product of Lego Japan. It is written by a Japanese • author
(Kilala Kitamoto), and published by a Japanese company (Fusosha), so
translation to other languages seems to be unlikely but you can never tell
(such are the perils of being an early adopter).

I have just received a copy of this (thanks Colin!) and I'm surprised that
this post hasn't generated more interest (so I'm raising it's profile to
.general). The book is fantastic, even if I can't read a word of Japanese!

To add a few notes to Colin's review:

The book is 315 pages long. It's split into 6 sections:

- Welcome: Background information, historical photos etc.

- Brand  History: including time line and many pictures of wooden toys and
pre-minifig sets

- Basic Knowledge: goes into dimensions colours, types of brick, minifig
anatomy and so on

- Play Material: takes up the bulk of the book and consists of photos of
100's of LEGO sets, from the 1970's to the present. As Colin says, coverage
is very patchy, with castle and pirates being missed out altogether. It is
not comprehensive or complete, but shows a representative sample of sets
from most themes [1]. For example for Blacktron 1, is shows the Alientator,
Invader and MIB. (Incidentally, the Blacktron and Space Police themes are
named with I and II suffixes; isn't this the first time LEGO themselves have
used these?). The Star Wars and Harry Potter sections are, I think,
complete. It's bang up to date with all 9 of the the SW minis included, as
well as many other 2003 releases.

- Material of Art: shows some models made by artists

- Power of the LEGO Brick: I'm not sure what this about, it's mainly
textual, but it does mention LEGOLAND parks and models, and other large
models.

As Colin says, it's been produced in conjunction with LEGO Japan, so whether
it ever receives an English translation remains to be seen. I sure hope so,
there has been nothing close to this ever published before.

The ISBN number is 4-594-03997-9. I can't find it at amazon.co.jp, though.

Huw

[1] The themes covered are, with mumber of pages, average 3 sets pictured
per page:

Town (62 pages)
Space (31 pages)
Aquazone (6 pages)