 Books / 257

Subject:
Japanese Lego book : 'Lego Book Museum'
Newsgroups:
lugnet.books
Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 10:32:50 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hello folks

This is probably old news for everyone, but I have been off-line for some
time.

On a work trip to Japan last week, I saw a brand-new Lego book that I have
not seen anywhere else, called 'Lego Book Museum, Volume 1'. I brought a
copy back to the UK with me, and I have posted a short review and some
pictures of the book (sorry, copyright fans) on my website at
www.btinternet.com/~freshfroot

It is an official product of Lego Japan. It is written by a Japanese author
(Kilala Kitamoto), and published by a Japanese company (Fusosha), so
translation to other languages seems to be unlikely but you can never tell
(such are the perils of being an early adopter).

I will probably be going back to Japan in the next couple of months, if
anyone wants a copy bringing back.

Colin

Re: Japanese Lego book : 'Lego Book Museum'
This is probably old news for everyone, but I have been off-line for some
time.

On a work trip to Japan last week, I saw a brand-new Lego book that I have
not seen anywhere else, called 'Lego Book Museum, Volume 1'. I brought a
copy back to the UK with me, and I have posted a short review and some
pictures of the book (sorry, copyright fans) on my website at
www.btinternet.com/~freshfroot

It is an official product of Lego Japan. It is written by a Japanese • author
(Kilala Kitamoto), and published by a Japanese company (Fusosha), so
translation to other languages seems to be unlikely but you can never tell
(such are the perils of being an early adopter).

I have just received a copy of this (thanks Colin!) and I'm surprised that
this post hasn't generated more interest (so I'm raising it's profile to
.general). The book is fantastic, even if I can't read a word of Japanese!

To add a few notes to Colin's review:

The book is 315 pages long. It's split into 6 sections:

- Welcome: Background information, historical photos etc.

- Brand  History: including time line and many pictures of wooden toys and
pre-minifig sets

- Basic Knowledge: goes into dimensions colours, types of brick, minifig
anatomy and so on

- Play Material: takes up the bulk of the book and consists of photos of
100's of LEGO sets, from the 1970's to the present. As Colin says, coverage
is very patchy, with castle and pirates being missed out altogether. It is
not comprehensive or complete, but shows a representative sample of sets
from most themes [1]. For example for Blacktron 1, is shows the Alientator,
Invader and MIB. (Incidentally, the Blacktron and Space Police themes are
named with I and II suffixes; isn't this the first time LEGO themselves have
used these?). The Star Wars and Harry Potter sections are, I think,
complete. It's bang up to date with all 9 of the the SW minis included, as
well as many other 2003 releases.

- Material of Art: shows some models made by artists

- Power of the LEGO Brick: I'm not sure what this about, it's mainly
textual, but it does mention LEGOLAND parks and models, and other large
models.

As Colin says, it's been produced in conjunction with LEGO Japan, so whether
it ever receives an English translation remains to be seen. I sure hope so,
there has been nothing close to this ever published before.

The ISBN number is 4-594-03997-9. I can't find it at amazon.co.jp, though.

Huw

[1] The themes covered are, with mumber of pages, average 3 sets pictured
per page:

Town (62 pages)
Space (31 pages)
Aquazone (6 pages)
Time cruisers (2)
Rock Raiders (3)
Sports (10)
Boat (3)
Trains (11)
Holiday (4)
Island stunts (3)
Racers (3)
Model Team (5)
Star Wars (27)
Harry Potter (9)

Re: Japanese Lego book : 'Lego Book Museum'
This is probably old news for everyone, but I have been off-line for some
time.

On a work trip to Japan last week, I saw a brand-new Lego book that I have
not seen anywhere else, called 'Lego Book Museum, Volume 1'. I brought a
copy back to the UK with me, and I have posted a short review and some
pictures of the book (sorry, copyright fans) on my website at
www.btinternet.com/~freshfroot

It is an official product of Lego Japan. It is written by a Japanese author
(Kilala Kitamoto), and published by a Japanese company (Fusosha), so
translation to other languages seems to be unlikely but you can never tell
(such are the perils of being an early adopter).
snip<
As Colin says, it's been produced in conjunction with LEGO Japan, so whether
it ever receives an English translation remains to be seen. I sure hope so,
there has been nothing close to this ever published before.

The ISBN number is 4-594-03997-9. I can't find it at amazon.co.jp, though.

Huw

Huw and all,

Good news!

I found the book at amazon.co.jp by searching on the ISBN number with no dashes.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/books/4594039979/250-7600683-8886609#product-details

It looks very cool! Quoting their shipping policies:
"Amazon.co.jp can ship to virtually any address in the world. Orders placed at
Amazon.co.jp will be shipped from Ichikawa, Japan, and may not be combined with
orders placed at any other Amazon sites. For more information, click the links
to the left."

Price: 2,381 JPY = 19.84 USD/17.63 EUR/12.36GBP

International Economy Shipping:
North America 1,200 JPY + 300 JPY/item
Europe 1,450 JPY + 300 JPY/item

International Economy shipments are sent by sea mail.
They typically take 2 to 3 weeks to the United States,
3 to 4 weeks to Asia and Europe

Should be pretty close to:
32.34 USD total shipped to United States
45.15 CAD total shipped to Canada
21.45 GBP total shipped to the United Kingdom
30.59 EUR total shipped to Europe

Maybe Santa will bring me one this year  :)

--
Bill
(TooMuchDew)

Re: Japanese Lego book : 'Lego Book Museum'