 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 2998
  Motorized microscale train

(2 URLs) Mocpages link> (URL) Brickshelf link> This MOC was actually completed in one day, the last day I had before a meeting with some fellow Dutch Lego enthusiasts. If you want to look at the pretty pictures of the meeting, just do a Brickshelf (...) (19 years ago, 19-Sep-05, to lugnet.announce.moc, FTX) !!

  Re: Motorized microscale train

(...) Hi Peer, I was admiring this model in your gallery and hoping you would post something about it. I think it is an absolutely brilliant model and idea so congratulations for both the inspiration and the implementation. Brilliant work! Tim (19 years ago, 19-Sep-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Motorized microscale train

(...) Cool! That should sort the problem of how to propel 2-wide trains (for those who don't have N-gauge track)! Mark (19 years ago, 19-Sep-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Motorized microscale train

In lugnet.announce.moc, Peer Kreuger wrote: Wow, that's all very well done! The space baseplate, the magnets, the detailing on the train itself, et al! And easy expansion for a large layout. And hey... if you use one of the contoured baseplates, you (...) (19 years ago, 20-Sep-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Motorized microscale train

Using thread instead of chain links is indeed a cheaper solution, and may even give more curving options. The only problem I'd see is propulsion, thread doesn't have as much ' grip' as chain links have. (...) (URL) + (URL) The wide chain link fits (...) (19 years ago, 20-Sep-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Motorized microscale train

I really like this idea. I had tried using a chain drive for a small cart ride (URL) my design, I used one of the "fat" chain links to attach a plate, which supported the cart. I had problems with the plate falling off every so often. Also, there (...) (19 years ago, 22-Sep-05, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Motorized microscale train

(...) Simple elegant design. but you forgot to crosspost to the most important group, Microscale. :) The inverted baseplate is such a simple idea, one question though, do the magnets have to be pressed up to the underside of the baseplate, or can (...) (19 years ago, 22-Sep-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build.microscale, FTX)

  Re: Motorized microscale train

(...) Ah yes, crossposting. I think the concept finally stopped eluding me ;) (...) There is a little gap between the baseplate and the magnet below, but the pull between both magnets is so strong that they'll stretch the chain a little and come (...) (19 years ago, 22-Sep-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build.microscale, FTX)

  Re: Motorized microscale train

In lugnet.trains, Brad Hamilton wrote: <snipsnip> (...) At first I also tried to attach plates to the bigger chain links (at some point I even considered using glue), but the other option you have is sticking one end of the big link into a technic (...) (19 years ago, 22-Sep-05, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Motorized microscale train

(...) A second alternative to specialized chain links -- and one I haven't tried yet -- would be Technic link-arms and pins, threaded around large-diameter tires. The magnet-holders can then be pinned vertically, and the curves in the "track" aren't (...) (19 years ago, 29-Sep-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.build.microscale, FTX)