 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 1826
  Dozen LEGO Roses

My wife and I just celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary and this is what I gave her: (URL) You can see a few more pics and read more about these on one of my MOCpages (URL) Here> Straight to the Brickshelf folder (URL) Here> Schleim On, JOHN (20 years ago, 2-Mar-04, to lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build.schleim, lugnet.general, lugnet.people, FTX) !

  Re: Dozen LEGO Roses

(...) VERY nice roses, John. Where were you when we were trying to make roses for Christina on the spur of the moment? We had a lot of trouble with connecting the flowers/buds to the stems (although I would argue that we did pretty good for the (...) (20 years ago, 2-Mar-04, to lugnet.build.schleim, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Dozen LEGO Roses

(...) John, the roses are absolutely beautiful. I love how graceful the stems look. It's amazing how lifelike they really do look in a few of the pics. I'm assuming you're wife supports your Lego habit (can't remember whether you posted in the (...) (20 years ago, 2-Mar-04, to lugnet.build.schleim, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Dozen LEGO Roses

(...) Thanks. That's a good question. I didn't even know you did it until the moment they were presented to her! I will say this: it took a rather long time to collect the necessary parts to put 12 roses together... (...) Yeah, I'm going to get Ross (...) (20 years ago, 2-Mar-04, to lugnet.build.schleim, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Dozen LEGO Roses

(...) Maybe you can leave some of the petals off, all that rotational stuff will be time consuming, the key points are the directional transitions, I think. Since we were working from an event kit we had limited SNOT capability in red. I gotta ask C (...) (20 years ago, 2-Mar-04, to lugnet.build.schleim, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Dozen LEGO Roses

(...) Thank you, Dawn. I had to go back and check to see if you were one of the Bricklink stores to which I had to go to acquire the necessary bricks to complete them. Ends up you weren't, but when I get around to taking some pics of my waterfall (...) (20 years ago, 2-Mar-04, to lugnet.build.schleim, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Dozen LEGO Roses

(...) Hmmm. Maybe some select photos might be better after all... (...) Well yeah, it took me about a dozen BL orders, and I had many of the parts already... (...) lol I'll take that as a backhanded compliment;-) (...) Yeah, I already told him I'd (...) (20 years ago, 2-Mar-04, to lugnet.build.schleim, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Dozen LEGO Roses

(...) Uhm, yup - we already guessed that... *grin* My only question, how did you keep this project secret from her? Congrats on 20 years - that's a good start! JohnG, GMLTC (20 years ago, 2-Mar-04, to lugnet.build.schleim, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Dozen LEGO Roses

(...) Aren't these exactly the same roses LEGO sold in a eBay/LEGO auction for charity a year or so ago? They look identical to me, except for the vase of course... (20 years ago, 2-Mar-04, to lugnet.build.schleim, lugnet.general)

  Re: Dozen LEGO Roses

(...) lol I simply kept it in the LEGO room (she doesn't go in there;-) (...) Thanks, J-1! J-2 (20 years ago, 2-Mar-04, to lugnet.build.schleim, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Dozen LEGO Roses

(...) Nope. Mine are vastly superior in design:-) Initially I thought to simply copy those, but when I actually took a look at their design, I knew I could do a better job, so I did. JOHN (20 years ago, 2-Mar-04, to lugnet.build.schleim, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Dozen LEGO Roses

(...) What's the difference? (20 years ago, 2-Mar-04, to lugnet.build.schleim, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Dozen LEGO Roses

(...) On Valentine's Day LegoLand CA was selling (Lego) roses. Eight bucks or so before discounts. Glued together. My wife and I were there with several sets of cousins and I scored big points buying her one. Matt (20 years ago, 2-Mar-04, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Dozen LEGO Roses

(...) Mine design is more complicated. Compare these pics. The first pic is from a person who claims to have reversed engineered the original TLC rose. The second is mine: (2 URLs) As you can see, I made a better attempt to simulate more petals on (...) (20 years ago, 2-Mar-04, to lugnet.build.schleim, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Dozen LEGO Roses

(...) Lokks great John.I have but one question...where is the dark red petals :-) Chris MichLTC (URL) (20 years ago, 2-Mar-04, to lugnet.build.schleim, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Dozen LEGO Roses

(...) It's a beautiful job, John! I like yours better than the originals. Nicely done! I may, at some future time, try to 'reverse engineer' your roses ;) Take care, Dave (20 years ago, 2-Mar-04, to lugnet.build.schleim, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Dozen LEGO Roses

In lugnet.general, Matthew Hamand wrote: ... (...) ... They were still selling them a week later. I got one as a belated Valentine for my wife. (But it's a really good thing that Valentine's Day 2005 is on a Monday, and therefore a winter BrickFest (...) (20 years ago, 2-Mar-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: Dozen LEGO Roses

(...) lol I spent my 18th wedding anniversary at BricksWest 2002! 8^O JOHN (20 years ago, 2-Mar-04, to lugnet.general, lugnet.events.brickfest, FTX)

  Re: Dozen LEGO Roses

(...) Ah! Indeed, yours are better. Terry (20 years ago, 2-Mar-04, to lugnet.build.schleim, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Dozen LEGO Roses

(...) Yep, they were selling them as early as early December. They are glued together, with a different petal arrangement (made from sloped bricks). I didn't do too badly in the wife favor department after delivering her one. Especially since it (...) (20 years ago, 2-Mar-04, to lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Dozen LEGO Roses

(...) Hmmmmmm. Daaark Reeeed... ~Drool~ (20 years ago, 2-Mar-04, to lugnet.build.schleim, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Dozen LEGO Roses

(...) Thanks, Dave. (...) Ohh, sounds complicated:-) Here, I'll make your job easier: (4 URLs) I think these pics reveal the basic idea here. One note-- the interior ring of petals is being held by pressure between the sections of the "stem" (a Ross (...) (20 years ago, 2-Mar-04, to lugnet.build.schleim, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Dozen LEGO Roses

Wow. That's awesome :) They really do look like flowers. Congrats on your 20th. We just hit our six-month :) -Anne (...) (20 years ago, 2-Mar-04, to lugnet.build.schleim, lugnet.general, lugnet.people)

  Re: Dozen LEGO Roses

John, are you loosing your touch, where are the TRAINS!? Josh (nice roses, ran across them yesterday in BS) (20 years ago, 5-Mar-04, to lugnet.build.schleim, lugnet.general, FTX)