 Western/Wild West / 694
Re: TLC's WW Matter (was Re: Death of lugnet.western?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.western, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sun, 18 May 2003 10:47:33 GMT

In lugnet.western, Benjamin Ellermann writes:
In lugnet.western, Dean R. Hennen writes:
This is of course, my own opinion, but the general TLC storyline is cut out
like that. Good and evil (Knight's Kingdom, Wild West). I think they have
been overdoing a bit too much of that, don't you think?

I do not think that LEGO is overdoing it.  But, I do think that LEGO could
benefit from diversifying and add different types of sets that don't follow
"the formula".

Or, as TLC would probably refer to it, "the formula that is profitable."
Actually, for a company as large as LEGO is, I'm surprised that they diversify
into less profitable areas as much as they do (Legends, USC, Bulk, Mosaics).

There is a large market, especially girls, not being reached
by LEGO.  They would appreciate diverse town sets (realistic "sims" types of
sets would be very successful...
<snip>

Hmmm... diverse town sets... Hey, they could do a whole line of sets that are
less action oriented. Sets like a riding stable, a lighthouse, a cafe, a fair...
Oh. Wait a minute...
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?qc=lego/system/town/paradisa

How about non-fairy, sim-type sets with realistic doll-type figures and homes.
Well, tried that too:
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?q=5895%2C+5890%2C+5880%2C+5876%2C+5874%2C+5847%2C

I would say that history has repeatedly shown that the large market of girls
doesn't really appreciate diverse town sets. At least not enough to buy them in
large numbers.

A large question is what will fly off of shelves.  TLC knows that certain
types of sets will be profitable and so they focus on these.

Now you're thinking like a for-profit company! My guess is that TLC would love
to sell millions of dollars of LEGO products to girls (SCALA, Paradisa,
Belville, Clikits), but until hundreds of thousands of girls start asking for
LEGO sets, or hundreds of thousands of moms and grandmoms start buying them, TLC
will likely continue to focus much of its energies on what works.

Rick Clark

x-post and FUT to market.theory