 Western/Wild West / 691
Re: TLC's WW & Etc. Matter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.western, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 17 May 2003 00:10:05 GMT

In lugnet.western, Benjamin Ellermann writes:
I would also like more "ordinary life" sets.  But you have to look at the
history of the company.  They know what works.

Yes, I know that. Though some sets are too darn simple (e.g. Town Jr. Bank
#6566 and 5850 Royal Crystal Palace....AAAIIIEEE!), they make pretty good
facades (take set 7418: Scorpion Palace) and contraptions like trapdoors,
yes, ESPECIALLY traps and hidden object minimachines.

What I find amazing about
TLC is how little things have changed in the last 25 years.  For example new
"NASA" sets are coming out.  Well "Moon Landing" (565) is an example of
this.

Hmmmm.....well...565....looks quite blocky but I know it was before the
minifig was invented. Nice part kit though.

What about the Sopwith Camel, Yoda, etc.  Sets like Constellation and
three hobby set cars (Renault, Rolls Royce, and Cadillac) were done by LEGO
first.

*Stares at the words in scilence for a few minutes* I gotta tell you, if I
got my hands on those kits I will be in brick heaven!!! Take 'em apart and
start building!

My arguement is that TLC is aware of the types of sets young
children, especially boys, like and they market to this group.  Boys want an
Eldorado Fortress, Kings Castle, or Black Seas Barracuda (heck, I want these
too! - please take note TLC employees :).

Yeah. I know. There are many KFOLs (kid fans of Lego). At that time they
need quite a number of easy to build kits. But sometimes TLC go a little bit
too far. Take the time when Town Jr. came out (I didn't touch the-how should
I say-hogwash!) that was not a very well (though this is my opinion),
"great" time in TLC's history. I don't really know why, but it seems that
even though old kits (1980---1995) had small castles (such as the first
castle kit) and mostly facade-buildings with not much volume in them, they
were spectacular. I think they are spectacular too (Alas, I don't own any).
I think it was because they weren't as "skimpy" as Town Jr. (take a look:
Figs have to go up levels using the HOG? I know the person playing is the
HOG, but crikey!) PLMKWYT on that subject.

This is of course, my own opinion, but the general TLC storyline is cut out
like that. Good and evil (Knight's Kingdom, Wild West). I think they have
been overdoing a bit too much of that, don't you think?

I do not think that LEGO is overdoing it.  But, I do think that LEGO could
benefit from diversifying and add different types of sets that dont follow
"the formula". There is a large market, especially girls, not being reached
by LEGO.  They would appreciate diverse town sets (realistic "sims" types of
sets would be very successful - not the oversized pink fairy crud) and other
ordinary life sets within more action oriented themes (ie The Guarded Inn).

*oversized pink fairy crud. ROTFLOL! Love the sight of the Guarded Inn!
Don't have any castle kits except one though (same with pirates. Have tons
of town kits though) :(

A large question is what will fly off of shelves.  TLC knows that certain
types of sets will be profitable and so they focus on these.  There is a
reason you find mickey mouse sets on clearance and not millenium falcons.

I see.

Well, thanks for sharing your opinions and PLMKWYT

Oh and BTW, here's my Updated Town Part:

Enjoy! And don't forget to anyone who comes by this message, drop an answer in!

Cheers (*clink*)

Dean