 Western/Wild West / 371
Re: My New Wild West Site
Newsgroups:
lugnet.western
Date:
Thu, 21 Dec 2000 13:38:17 GMT

In lugnet.western, Alex Marino writes:
Jon, how did you make the rifle with 2 backsights and 2 front sights?

This is a bit late, but it looks like he cut off the barrels and tapered
them  down near the handle..

I'd done something similar about 6 months ago, but probably a bit more labor
intensive(1):

-Take 2 WW rifles and with an X-Acto knife, carefully cut off the stock to
both guns.

-Cut off the trigger guard and grip under both guns.

-Using superglue and a pair of Tweezers, glue what is left of the two rifles
side by side (only glue the flat area of the rifles, no the barrels
themselves). Allow to dry.

-Once dry, take and trim one of the two grips/trigger guards so they are
smooth on top - a small hobby file works well for this.

-Using tweezers, apply glue to the top surfaces of it and carefully place it
on the center line of both rifles(the seam where they were glued together).
Laying the whole thing upside down worked the best for me.

-Last, file down  one of the stocks till flat and the backs of the rifles
where they attacked originally. Apply super glue and carefully attach the
stock so it lines up with the trigger/grip on the center seam of the two
rifles and let dry.

When all is said and done, you have a double barreled shotgun.

I've also done a sawed of shotgun in the same manner, but cutting off half
of the barrel length.

The extra barrel sections have been used to make a part of "long barreled"
Colt pistols - by cutting off the short barrels from two pistols and gluing
the remains of the barrels from the sawed off shotgun in place of them -
making  pistols with roughly twice the barrel length. I also made a "Short
barreled" rifle - like Steve McQueen used in The Rifleman TV series. That
one looks really cool IMO. :)

And... viola! You've got enough custom guns to make your own Wild West
Gunsmithy. Something on my list for when I get around to making a WW town
again in the future.

I haven't gotten any pictures taken, so I hope this makes sense.. if not,
I'll snap some pictures over the holiday and put them on my page.

Joel Jacobsen
http://home.columbus.rr.com/jacobsen/

(1) I strongly recommend doing this only if you have a steady hand, and a
lot of pistols or rifles. If you're not careful they'll be all but destroyed
otherwise. I have so many between WW and the Adventurers that I sacrificed
half a dozen rifles without really noticing. I've seen people say the WW
accesories are still available.