 Trains / Train Organizations / 210
Re: GATS Tampa Show...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 23:09:30 GMT

Steve Martin wrote:

In lugnet.loc.us.fl, John Neal writes:
Now, of course, minifig scale means cars and trains that can only fit one • minifig
width-wise.  I, however, build my trains 8 studs wide as opposed to the • standard 6
wide.  Why, you ask?

Basically, for added realism.  Consider this.  Standard American gauge of • track is
4' 8 1/2".  LEGO train track gauge is 5 studs.  Therefore, 1 stud equals just • under
1 foot.  A minifig is just over 4 studs high, or about 4 ft high.  Of course, • what
they lack in height is more than compensated in width:-P

Now, a modern diesel locomotive is about 10 ft wide, which would equal about • 10
studs wide in LEGO.  This width in inches, however, is more akin to G scale • model
train.  Minifigs are far too short for G scale.  O scale locomotives are
approximately 8 studs wide, and minifigs, although *much* wider, are about • the same
height as O scale figs.

The gauge of LEGO track, however, is wider than O scale, so precise • comparisons are
difficult.  If one builds 8 wide, one is able to use O scale decals with • relative
accuracy.

I still think 10 wide would be better, even if the minifigs are a little
short.  It would fit how the actual trains LOOK.  It's not our fault if
everyone who rides is too short :-).

Actually, If I remember correctly, the trains at the Legoland Billund were 18
wide.  Now wouldn't that be cool!!

Of course, they were using *NON*-LEGO wheels, which are bigger than ours (not to
mention the custom-laid track; again, *NON*- LEGO)

-John

Steve Martin