 Trains / Train Organizations / 2036
2035  |  2037
Subject:
Modified LEGO race train motor (it's a screamer)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickfest, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 03:38:14 GMT

I finally found a victim to be a part of my mad scientist scheme to become
the first modified class Rail Racer(TM)[ http://www.railracers.com ] engine.
I have taken a 9V train motor and removed the standard electric motor inside
and replaced it with an oversized engine. The engine is a small electric
motor out of a broken toy that my son had (well it was broken when I got
through with it). This motor is a bit larger than the stock motor that is
inside the LEGO train motor casing so I had to cut an opening in the top of
the motor case to allow a fit. Also the bottom of the case has a slight
bulge but still is operable on the tracks with out any clearance issues.

You can see some pictures of it here:

This motor is fast! I will have to add a good amount of weight to the final
Rail Racer that holds this engine in order to keep it from spinning it's
wheels at take off. Once it gets going it makes a cool high pitch screaming
noise and just takes off.

It actually went together fairly easy, except for the fact that I didn't
check the wiring before I reassemble the case and I found out that I wired
it backwards! So I had to take it back apart and switch the wiring.

The motor will make it race debut at the Rail Racers National Championship
this month at Brickfest. This motor will be in the Modified Single Engine
Division (MSE) and I have a feeling it will be racing alone. But it should
be fun to watch it run, at least before it strips it's gearing out :)

jt

James Trobaugh
Rail Racers - Drag Racing LEGO Trains
http://www.railracers.com