 Trains / 16790
Re: Modified LEGO race train motor (it's a screamer)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 18:16:39 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Trobaugh writes:
MSE allows the racer to modify the standard LEGO train engine pretty much
anyway that they want. The track will not be modified and will still only
supply the standard 9volt current. So the racer must keep that in mind and
design his/her modifications so that it will operate on stock LEGO track
with stock controllers. The adding of other power sources such as batteries
is allowed as long as it is isolated from the electrical system of the
track, the judges have the final say on what is allowed to run. (no flamible
power sources are allowed)

And yes MSE (Modified Single Engine) is single engine, there is a MME class
that is for modified multiple engines.

A more general list of the rules can be found at
http://www.ngltc.org/RaiRacers/rules.html

(actually: http://www.ngltc.org/RailRacers/rules.html)

thanks... I had already reviewed those when I asked.

What exactly is a "modified train motor" ??

Here's a hypothetical to make it clearer what I am asking.

Suppose I construct something that can get 9v power from the track (wipers,
a gutted 9V motor perhaps, whatever) and mount a large electric motor on my
chassis... suppose that it transmits power to the rails via large rubber
tyres. (maybe from one of the super car sets?) Presumably it uses train
wheels for guidance but in this case, not for power transmission

Suppose that by volume, by weight and by dollar cost metrics I am over 50%
LEGO in every case. Suppose also that this contraption runs fine on the
stock racing setup, with no clearance problems or no requirement to modify
the track.

Does that entry fit the MSE definition? There is vagueness in that definition.
this hypothetical entry does not use a train motor at all (unless you count
the gutted motor used as a power pickup.. suppose that's not there at all
and wipers are used to get the power)

I'm thinking maybe it does NOT fit that definition... it would instead need
to be in the "unlimited" class where anything goes (but which you do not yet
have)

Hope that helps.