 Trains / Train Organizations / 1480
Re: Pictures from Raleigh GATS Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2001 01:20:18 GMT

"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> wrote in message
news:GFEsDG.AFK@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.trains, Mike Walsh writes:
Here is a quick upload of pictures from the first day of our GATS show.
More commentary will follow later tonight.

Two neat things I spotted, both from this pic

First, you did open space bridges! Very cool. I especially like that you • did
a monorail bridge.

Doing the open space bridges was an outcome of a conversation I had with
some of the PNLTC guys (Duane, Kim, Steve B., Dave) when I was out in
Portland earlier this year.  They elaborated on how much of a pain it was to
crawl under a table over the course of a weekend.  I am glad we did it - the
bridges generated a bunch of conversation.  The monorail bridge had always
been planned to be higher than the others but originally it was supposed to
be inside the inner 9V loop.  We had to make a last minute adjustment based
on the width of Cary's bridges and run it between the two 9V bridges 14
bricks up in the air.  It worked out great and ended up narrowing the "duck
under" width considerably.

Second, that triangular bolton tray visible in the back inner corner seems • a
neat idea. Did you get that idea yourself? Does it help strengthen the
corner or square it up at all?

Nice busy towncenter... looks a great layout.

++Lar

The corner shelves were added by Chris Suich (who own's the shop where we
built all of the tables).  It turns out that they can be installed like they
are right now or can be flipped over and they add and area where the turn on
a 9V run can be tightened up a bit.  I had simply mentioned to Chris that we
should have a shelf for the controller - this is what he came up with.

Mike

http://www.nclug.net - North Carolina LEGO Users Group
http://www.nclug.net/ctb - Carolina Train Builders
http://www.brickbay.com/store.asp?u=mpw - Brick Depot