 Trains / Train Organizations / 1324
Re: Signs, Signs, everywhere a Sign
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 14:39:55 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, Mike Walsh writes:
In North Carolina (at least around here) it is a one mile stretch AND, it is
hard to get one, particularly around Research Triangle Park.  Every company
in the area has adopted a piece of highway.  I looked into it for our office
a few years ago and I think there was a nominal fee involved (covered the
cost of the sign I think) in order to adopt a highway.

Mike

It's such a blindingly obvious fake!  Even at first glance, why is there
compression fringing around the 'Adopt a Highway' text, but absolutely none
around the NGLTC?  Not only that but the NGLTC text has perfect regular
anti-aliasing, which you just don't get on a real digital still.

If you zoom in, you'll see that the top and bottom edges of the middle sign
drop by a whole pixel from left to right, yet the text on it is exactly
horizontal.  Also the three 'r's in the text are pixel-for-pixel IDENTICAL.
There is no way this would happen on a real still.

So why?  What's the point?  As people have pointed out, you really can adopt
stretches of highway and have your name on a sign (the original sign
exists), so why fake one?  Why not put in the effort and pick up some
rubbish, instead of producing it?

Jason J Railton