 Trains / 9431
Re: MoC: The Limacion track design is BUILT!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 00:01:51 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Powell writes:
I tried most everything in the way of developing brakes for
my trains.  I now have a working prototype brake van, which solves many
problems (but still has some bugs of its own).  Lots of fun to experiment with.

James

A working brake van?  I'm fascinated.  Please explain.

Fantastic layout by the way.  It took a while for me to spot the
straight-curve-straight-curve system in the spiral, but I'm surprised by the
need to leave so much clearance.  I would have thought that you could
squeeze through at only 11 or 12 bricks - so long as you had nothing with
electric pantographs on the roof.

I remember seeing a 12V train ideas book with a raised section.  Here's the
Brickshelf scan.  They used a rise of 1 brick/straight, and suggested ways
of hinging the top of the stands to join to the track.  One even uses
minifig legs as a fairly sturdy hinge:

http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/7000/7777/

It also included some neat technic hopper trucks that could tip into a lower
bin on their way past.  A favourite trick of some OO gauge modellers is to
use a split level track to drop from hopper trucks, through the track into
another train or trucks below.

How steep is the rise you are using, James?

P.S. I wish I had that much room, let alone the LEGO to fill it.

Jason.