 Trains / 9429
Re: MoC: The Limacion track design is BUILT!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 22:34:14 GMT

James Powell wrote:

How much room do you have between one layer of the spiral and the next?
I've been toying with multi-layer layouts and I'm not yet positive just
how much room to leave between layers.

I think the best amount, if you can afford it in distance, is 15 bricks from
base-first hit thing.  This will give about 14 bricks clear from rail, which is
enough to run all the stock lego stuff (including 4552).  I had 12.6 on my
current layout, and would aim for a bit more than that on the next one...but, I
was forced into a comprimise between grade and height, which I didn't like (too
much grade, not enough height...I should have ran 1/2 way around the room
more...)

It is however, a comprimise always, and not one that is easy to solve.
Hopefully next time I will have more than 10 ft to come up the last 15
bricks...that or I will come up with a slighty different approach.  The current
grade I had (about 1.3 bricks/length peak) limited me more going down hill than
up, to about 4 cars/motor.

James Powell

Sounds like you need some dynamic breaks. I assume you kill the power on the
downhill, but I was just wondering, what if the uphill and downhill parts of the
track were separate from the mainline, and a resister was attached across the
rails; would this increase the LEGO motors ability to slow the train down?

Just wondering out loud,
Chris
--
PGP public key available upon request.