 Trains / 9243
9242  |  9244
Subject:
What Bulk Parts for Offset? (was:Re: New Look for old trains)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 23:28:21 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi writes:
John Neal wrote:
Speaking of the 8 wides, regarding the euro box car:
http://www.ee.nmt.edu/~jmathis/train_portfolio/sld044.htm
I noticed you have gone to great lengths to offset the sides and roof, but • as I
look at the proto, I see that the offset is negligible.  I happened to • notice
this because I have just gone through the same design exercise with a couple • of
box cars of my own, and I decided to use the breaks in the tall bricks to
*imply* the offset, even though they are flush.  Did you ever consider doing
this?  (Sorry I don't have pics yet to illustrate).

-John

John,

Are you saying that stacking 1x2 bricks atop each other to make a wall will
imply an offset because the gap between the adjacent bricks suggests a shadow
and thus an offset?

Chris

P.S. I have given up on the whole offset thing (for now). All the offsets look
cool, but it just seems too special part intensive for me to do all the time.

What parts (special, or not) would you need to continue building and exploring
constructions that employ the "offset thing"?

I use for my box car, even if inappropriately, the following:
1) technic pins with stud (1.3 long)
2) technic beams, particularly 1x2 technic beam bricks
3) 1x2 tiles
4) basic bricks and plates
5) round 1x1 plates
6) 45 and 33 degree slopes

The most recognized offset part, the 1x2 plate with centered 1/2 stud offset, I
didn't even use for this box car.  However, I use this part in many other
creations.

Other offset parts that I can think of off-hand generally rotate the stud
orientation by 90 degrees:
1) 1x1x1 brick with side stud
2) 1x2 plate with 90 degree 1x4 thin plate
3) 1x2 brick hinge
4) several other parts that do the 90 degree rotation...

I would love to see any of the above parts more readily available in bulk.

Chris- and others- I would really be interested in what parts you hand in mind
for the "offset thing".

later,
James Mathis

James Mathis wrote:

I have put together a look layout look for several of my train creations.

I have tried to pair my model made of LEGO bricks with photos of their
real-life counterparts.

I welcome any comments and criticisms regarding organization, • presentation,
content, download times, etc.

Thanks for taking a look.  Here's the link:

http://www.ee.nmt.edu/~jmathis/train_portfolio/index.htm

This presentation was generated with Microsoft's PowerPoint application, • and
then converted html using PowerPoint's built-in "save as html" function.

later,
James Mathis