 Trains / 9242
Re: Knee-biting Amtrak Cascades (was:Re: New Look for old trains)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 23:22:05 GMT

James Mathis wrote:

In lugnet.trains, John R. Clark writes:
In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:
In lugnet.trains, John R. Clark writes:

<snip> knee biting and complimenting

In discussing your Cascades model, Dan and I consensed that if it is at all
possible, the coaches should be shorter (less tall, not less long). One of
the distinctive things about the prototype is how short the coaches are in
relation to the engine (only slightly more than half the height!). In
looking at yours, we thought that removing a green brick from the bottom and
a white plate from the top would go a long way in suggesting the low height.
Logistically, of course, this may not be possible, due to internal
construction constraints. But I thought I would mention it. (Besides, the
model's so good-looking, I -have- to find something wrong with it, just so I
don't get totally discouraged and quit building trains altogether...)

Yes!  This is the type of comment I love!  Yes:  less tall.  I totally agree.
When I get it back, I'll see what I can do.  In the meantime, I'll try to think
about possible coupler re-configurations that could achieve a lower profile
coach.

If it is too hard to make the coaches much shorter, you could always make the
engines taller...

<snip>

Just jumping in to point out the obvious.
Chris

--
PGP public key available upon request.