 Trains / 9240
Re: New Look for old trains
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 23:00:27 GMT

John Neal wrote:

This has got to be the most impressive MOC collection of trains in the world,
James.  You are one prolific dude, dude:-)  I like the way you end on 8 wides--
kind of implies an evolution of sorts! <g,d,r>

Speaking of the 8 wides, regarding the euro box car:
http://www.ee.nmt.edu/~jmathis/train_portfolio/sld044.htm
I noticed you have gone to great lengths to offset the sides and roof, but as I
look at the proto, I see that the offset is negligible.  I happened to notice
this because I have just gone through the same design exercise with a couple of
box cars of my own, and I decided to use the breaks in the tall bricks to
*imply* the offset, even though they are flush.  Did you ever consider doing
this?  (Sorry I don't have pics yet to illustrate).

-John

John,

  Are you saying that stacking 1x2 bricks atop each other to make a wall will
imply an offset because the gap between the adjacent bricks suggests a shadow
and thus an offset?

Chris

P.S. I have given up on the whole offset thing (for now). All the offsets look
cool, but it just seems too special part intensive for me to do all the time.

James Mathis wrote:

I have put together a look layout look for several of my train creations.

I have tried to pair my model made of LEGO bricks with photos of their
real-life counterparts.

I welcome any comments and criticisms regarding organization, presentation,
content, download times, etc.

Thanks for taking a look.  Here's the link:

http://www.ee.nmt.edu/~jmathis/train_portfolio/index.htm

This presentation was generated with Microsoft's PowerPoint application, and
then converted html using PowerPoint's built-in "save as html" function.

later,
James Mathis

--
PGP public key available upon request.