 Trains / 8878
Re: Via train photos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 24 Dec 2000 21:14:59 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

In lugnet.trains, James Powell writes:

Well james they are nice but I too agree that they are short.

The problem is of the lego curves.  If I make them much longer, then they look
stupid going around the curves.  At present they are 24/26 studs long over the
vestibule.  If I extend them by 8 studs (which is relatively easy to do) then
they would be 32/4 studs long, which I think looks kind of silly on the lego
curves.  I'm not a huge fan of the 32L dropped center baseplates for that
reason, plus they tend to hit things on occasion-like the track!

Well, I agree, you are caught between a rock and a hard place. Too short and
they look silly standing still, too long, and they look silly on curves.
However I feel 32 studs is a good compromise. Many of my cars are that
length or longer and I just lump the way they look on curves (and keep lots
of clearance on inside curves) because I am more concerned with the overall
proportions than curve appearance.

But the beauty of LEGO is, you can do it your way and I can do it mine...

(I'm not a huge fan of the 32L drop center, or any wagon plates at all, for
that matter... too confining. Nevertheless I used 3 32Ls in my bullet train,
partly because I wanted the low level doors

++Lar

I have found that if you avoid 180° curves then the long cars don't look that
bad because they are not in the curve too long.

Just typing to see myself type,
Chris
--
PGP public key available upon request.