 Trains / 8876
Re: Via train photos
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sun, 24 Dec 2000 18:09:28 GMT

Well james they are nice but I too agree that they are short.

The problem is of the lego curves.  If I make them much longer, then they look
stupid going around the curves.  At present they are 24/26 studs long over the
vestibule.  If I extend them by 8 studs (which is relatively easy to do) then
they would be 32/4 studs long, which I think looks kind of silly on the lego
curves.  I'm not a huge fan of the 32L dropped center baseplates for that
reason, plus they tend to hit things on occasion-like the track!

When I travel on VIA I have noticed a couple of engines.
    I see the FP9A (the one you did).

-older, most are retired now

The VIA LRC seen here http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=24518
, that provides a different option for modeling via, but I have only seen it
around Toronto and other big Canadian cities.

Only between Windsor-Quebec City- the last 7 of the LRC power units are to be
replaced with F40PH's, get your photos whist you can- and the end of ALCo as
passenger power in North America too...

So you can see if the FP9A isnt do-able then try some other engines.  The
FP9A looks good though.  You can stick two 24x6 together or anything else to
get the cars that long. =)

As above, a ~50 long train car looks silly to my mind on the Lego curves.  I'm
also building the train for a unknown layout right now- I don't know what the
track plan will be with NALUG, so I wanted to make a train that would have 100%
availability.  Even there, I might have failed, as the dome car only just
passes under my track (which the 4551 will not...so I think I should be OK for
height)

Also, have you ever considered stations?  My station sits on a 192 stud long
area, and is single ended...and this train will stick out a good ways as it is
right now, never mind if I doubled the length of the passenger cars!

I would have put some pictures of my via train cars(HO-not lego, more-detail
cars) and the F40PH but brick shelf is screwing up and i dont have the time
to figure it out.

That's OK.  I have a fair number of photos of the F40's, and a fair amount of
Canadian steam stuff -the FP's are a bit oddball. Most of the shape was taken
from:
http://f-unit.railfan.net/f-unit_today.htm
The VIA unit right at the top.  I didn't event think of doing one of the F40's,
because my memories are of the blue trains (with the stainless cars adding to
the consists) passing right behind my house in Toronto, C~1981.  So, FP's are
the power for me.

James