 Trains / 843
Re: Train Depot DCC Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 07:04:06 GMT

Three mile Island train theme
SteveB

Matthew Bates wrote in message ...
Hmmm, that's a jolly fine theory, I didn't know such a material existed. • Maybe
I need to go back and figure out a way to incorporate the disc into the
modified motor[1]. It would be kind of embarassing if my motor fell out • onto
the track one day after melting its way through the plastic.

Matt

[1] The disc is held in place by the same piece of metal that picks up the
supply from the wheels. For a DCC installation these need to be isolated • from
one another. The only place that I can see to make a cut is the little tab
that holds the disc onto the motor terminal, but cutting the tab makes the • tab
and the disc fall out!

OK, here's my guess. It's a polymer thermal resistive protection device.
Put it in circuit, and turn up the power...basically, no resistance.
Now, with the power up, try to stop the wheels. This would increase
the amount of current drawn by the motor, causing a heat build-up, and
potential damage to the plastic components holding the motor. This
would be a Bad Thing. So, the ploymer device, now being asked to pass
more current than it is rated for, begins to heat as well, causing the
current-passing element to become highly resistive, thus preventing the
motor from heating too much. This would cause the train motor to stop
working if it got too hot (maybe after pulling a really heavy load).
There are also thermal switches, versus this high-resistance device.

So, if LEGO uses this technology in the motors, would they also use
them in the speed controllers? This could explain some of the problems
where folks put 2-3 motors on a train, and the controller finally
quits after a while, but then resumes operation after the device has
had time to cool.

(I'm an ex-hardware-hacker, who hasn't opened his speed controller
or a LEGO motor (yet). I'm only offering one possibility. :-)

       -Z-       http://baylug.org/zonker