 Trains / 828
Re: Train Depot DCC Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 1999 00:56:16 GMT

Soete Ludo wrote:
Hi,

I read your answer to Matt Bates concerning the lego train motor.

It's so that if you overload the speed regulator that the voltage will drop
down due to an internal
cirquit into the voltage regulator. This is a LM317 and is able to deliver
1Amp. if appropriate cooled.
If this device (LM317) becomes too hot, then an internal electronic cirquit
regulates the output voltage
down to prevent it from blowing up due to an overload.

The Lego train speed regulator is a copy of an application note from the LM317
(National Semiconductor).

The thermistor or polyfuse inside the motor is to protect the motor from
overload. If you remove the thermistor (or polyfuse)
then you can burnout the motor if you overload them for a certain time.

Regards,
Soete Ludo

In lugnet.trains, Martin Legault writes:
In lugnet.trains, Matthew Bates writes:
In lugnet.trains, Martin Legault writes:

Didn't open a motor yet but with the description I would say that it is a
thermistor (thermal resistive device). Better find a way to live it in • place.

I suppose I could try soldering wires to it and thereby put it between the • DCC
decoder output and the motor. Does it need to be thermally coupled to the
motor though or is the heat of the current passing through it sufficient?

Matt

Hard to say, some are able to heat by themself and some need external heat
source, but the first type normaly stay "open" as long as there is power
applied to them while the second type slowly became less resistive when they
cool down, so if there is a good thermal path betwen it and the motor you
should make sure that there is still one.

Martin