 Trains / 8128
Re: Palantine Steamer with Wagons Set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 7 Nov 2000 20:24:18 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Reinhard "Ben" Beneke writes:
In lugnet.trains, James Mathis writes:

I think my responsibility wasn't that big it had to be mentioned here....

There is no discounting inspiration for any person no matter how small it may
be perceived to be.

Here's my result:

And it's a remarkable result in fact! Wow I'm really impressed by the amount • of
small details, by the clever and really new use of the Ninja doors sideways as
sliding doors and by the impression of the whole model as it stands under the
blue sky.

I wish to have two more Ninja doors.  I hope they are still available.

We have usual bright and sunny days in New Mexico, but these photos were
challenged for the sun as rainy days have arrived in an uncharacteristic
fashion.  :-)  I love it!  And, today we have snow!  :-)   :-)  :-)
With snow, I would really have loved to photograph the Palantine set.

This photographing technique might be indeed the only point influenced by one
of my recently written mails...

Indeed!

Since it seems to me I'm one of the last 6-wide fans, I have to do some
obligatory critics on your model:  ;-)

You are not one of the last 6-wide fans.  Count me into 6-wide!

- is it possible, that the train wouldn't fit to minifigs? (I see none of
them)

I thought of putting in minifigs, but just didn't for... I don't know.  I
should photograph with a minigure against each of the locomotive, box car, and
passenger wagon for you to see.  I think the box car is too tall!

- will you recycle now all your other trains or build them again in 8-wide?

No.  No.  No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

Ok, I'm just kidding! I see, that in average and on straight track 8-wides
look
better than 6-wides, since you can add more details and even proportions
between height and width look more proper. But I don't want to start the
8-wide
discussion here again, instead I would beg you, not to leave the 6-wide
fraction forever. You always delivered best arguments for the 6-wide party.
;-)

Both scales 6- and 8-wide have their respective merits.  It's fun to build
either way.

I feel 8-wide units to be comfortable even on curves as long as they aren't too
long.  The "hanging out" of the central section of a "long" model beyond the
edge of the track through a curve looks strange to me (just my opinion).  Of
course, this restricts 6-wides, too.

I am distressed by my own 6-wide "high-speed" train creations that have too
long a nose; the "nose" sticks out beyond the edge of the track through curves.
So, the same criticism applies to these 6-wide creations...but, that is my own
design fault.  The nose sticking out through curves gets in trouble with
stationary track-side scenery.

This is then primarily the unavoidable issue of LEGO track: having such a tight
radius of curve.

Build as you like and enjoy it!

later,
James Mathis