 Trains / 8118
8117  |  8119
Subject:
Palantine Steamer with Wagons Set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 23:29:34 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Jumping from the latest "high speed" rail model, I have now tried an older
fashioned model.
This train set is modeled after the Palantine steamer and wagon set.
A Maerklin model of the set is shown here:

Steam Locomotive:
http://www.maerklin.com/produkte/highlights97_98/34121.html

Wagons:
http://www.maerklin.com/produkte/highlights97_98/43981.html

As you can see, this set uses the color brown extensively.
The locomotive has two axles of large diameter spoked wheels.
These two factors influenced my choice of model to build with LEGO, as brown
is still a color offered in a somewhat limited piece assortment, and I happen
to have four large diameter spoked wheels from some set from the 1970's.
Unfortunately, the LEGO wheels are red, rather than brown, but, oh well.

John Neal, you asked for it....  ;-)
Thanks go to "Ben" Beneke for putting me on-track to build a steamer.

Here's my result:

I realize some of the color and scale to the Marklin model of this Palantine
train set is not quite correct.
Some of this is due to trying to work around the size restrictions of certain
critical pieces, such as the box car's brown sliding doors.  These doors are
made from the "Ninja" fortress doors.
The yellow windows are a little small :-(

It's been a fun project.  It is quite the stand alone model in my train yard as
it is just too big next to everything else!

As you will notice, my model has no "driving" rods.  I contragulate every one
of you who has met with success modeling "driving" rods into your steam engine
creations!  I appreciating that very much right now.

later,
James Mathis