 Trains / 8160
Re: Palantine Steamer with Wagons Set
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 22:28:49 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:

James Mathis wrote:

Jumping from the latest "high speed" rail model, I have now tried an older
fashioned model.
This train set is modeled after the Palantine steamer and wagon set.

John Neal, you asked for it....  ;-)

lol I am sorry for not replying right away to this post; I have had internet
connection issues for a few days:-(  But wow, call me Toyota, James, this
train is
cool!  Although all of your trains are cool, but I'm especially gratified that
you
dipped your feet into 8 wide waters!  What I like best about it is the
overhang
over the drivers which you employed, which just isn't possible with 6 wide
(which
is why I think you will have difficulty trying to downsize this model to 6
wide)
The model just "looks right", meaning that the proportions work very well to
create a convincing train!  Also, being able to shroud your cars also creates
nice and realistic effect.

Hello, Toyota ?!?

Yeah, the overhang over the drivers as I've built in 8-wide isn't possible if
built as 6-wide.  I would have to just leave that part off; and, that might
really detract from the look and appeal of this locomotive.

The size and proportions of the locomotive and rolling stock in my Palantine
LEGO version actually make me think of LGB- kind of stuby, in my opinion.

But, I agree, the shrouding of the wheels on the wagons is a very nice effect.

Nice work, James!  You have just created a model which highlights some of 8
wides
most desirable attributes.

Have I added fuel to the fire?  Uh, boy....

Watch out, though--building 8 wide is like eating 1
Lay's® potatoe [1] chip;-)

"You can't eat just one."  Or, as my dad and I like to say, "You just can't eat
one!"  ;-)

I don't know which scale I'll build next time.  Either way, it's fun to try
one's best to make the LEGO model look as close to the "real thing" as
possible.

later,
James

Here's my result: